Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
scuzy

random lockups in win2k

Anyone have random lockups with win2k ?

My mouse stops moving and ctrl+alt+del won't work i have to do a hard reset.

my hardware

p3-550e oc to 733

erazor3 tnt2

256 pc133 ram

p3v4x asus mother

sb live platinum

intel nic

diamond fireport 40 dual scsi controller

I have no idea what's causing the lockup, one thing i know for sure is that it's not OC because i have the same problem at default cpu speed of 550 with Cpu temp at 32C.

I had the same problem !

It happened just after i installed my ATI drivers but i uninstall it without be sure it was the cause of the problem !

As hardware like you, I just just have one sb live so perhaps it's the driver.....

I'll contact you if the problem happen once again

I had some problem !!!

My hardware: FIC VA-503A

AMD K6-III 450Mhz

128Mb SDRAM PC-100 ECC Samsung

Matrox G400 32MB SDRAM SH

Symbios 53C895 SCSI ADAPTER

Seagate Cheatah 9,1Gb 10025 rpm

Media Forte Quad-Xtreme 256PCP

Lexmark CJP 3200 printer

I unplug SCSI Adapter and connect EIDE IBM 13.2Gb disk -------> ALL IS O.K - :))))

well unplugging the scsi adapter is not a viable option since all my hard drives are uw drives. it'll be a wate of all that valuable space.

I've been getting lockups like this recently

It happened with the 3.81 leaked drivers and the 5.13 leaked drivers I reverted to 3.78 and all is hunky dory in the land of nod!

Hey scuzy, unfortunately, the reason is because win2k has problems with hardware. It won't tell you that there are problems. Instead of telling you, it will randomly lock up. I have seen it many times, especially at work.

The two things that have caused it the most are SCSI cards frown and video drivers. First of all, make sure you are using the 3.78 drivers. They are the most stable right now. Second, if you have a non scsi drive, try installing win2k on it and use it to see if it locks. If it doesn't, you know it is the scsi card. Next, if it is the scsi card, i recommend getting a differnt card. Make sure it is compatible first.

The next thing you could do is use the Win2k WDM drivers for your sblive and see what happens....if it still occurs, try removing your card. Sound cards can definately do it. Also, check your irq settings and make sure they aren't all sharing...for instance, irq 9 or 10 (usually the most popular)

Let me know if any of this works....I know it is a lot of work, but we will find the problem if you do it.

I hope this helps. smile

scuzy you have two chooess get raid one following, sb live platinum or diamond fireport 40 dual scsi controller.

If you plan on keep that diamond fireport you better plan on getting Aureal Vortex 1 from all test I done that only PCI sound that work rigth with a diamond fireport 20 or 40...

Good Lucky

I've had similar problems.

I found out that this was due to my motherboard sharing irqs across two devices i.e. agp and pci slot1.

If this is the case move the cards about so that the SCSI card has its own because SCSI cards dont like to share.

i'm gonna try to use teh symbios win2k drivers they have on their site for my fireport40 and see if that helps. I heard that on my motherboard disable agp4x could help too in some occassion for my tnt2, I'm using driver 5.13 for my tnt. I notice this problem occur right after i install my sblive win2k drivers from creative. Maybe it's because the creative drivers are causing this problem. I started to notice this probelm after i gave my brother my athlon 700 mobo and chip to him. Didn't quite seem to have this problem on the athlon, maybe it's the irq sharing that is not working properly. Since all the other component are exactly the same as before the athlon swap.

well i haven't tried the other solution that i talked about but had been in the market of getting a new dual scsi controller. So i broke down and bought a adaptec 39160 controller. If this still don't work then i know for sure it's not the scsi.

Okay here is a fallow up no more crashed after i got an adaptec 39160 scsi controller. I love this controller. =)

I experience the lockup mostly when pictures are loading on IE5, full-screen movies (or some menus opening in menus), and in games. Homeworld will lock up every time I go into the build menu.

I'm running a

K6-3 450

SOYO ETEQ (Modified VIA Chipset)

128 MB Ram

Dual Boot 98Se/2k

Diamond Stealth 3 S540 (Drivers suck!!)

Diamond MX300 (Drivers suck!!)

Ultra/66

Voodoo2 SLI

Netgear 201

I'm thinking it is the video card drivers and possibly a problem with the agp port, or with dual boot.

The other thing I've noticed is quite a few people have controller cards (SCSI, UltraDMA4 cards, etc). Maybe Win2k is getting some weird conflict with these?

I had this problem, my setup is

dual Celeron 366@550

Abit BP6

G400

Live

256 Ram

etc etc

doing dual boot, my week 21 celeron can do win98 stable at 2.05v while the week 25 can do win98 stable at 2.0v but I was only able to run NT 4.0 stable with both at 2.1v

After upgrading to Win2000, I get this random lock (mouse+keyboard not working but program is still running) especially easy to get it while I run Age of Kings. After upgrading drivers and borrowing video and mouse hardware, those locks are still there.

Today I tried something else and found the random lock is gone, and that is by setting voltage for my week 21 celeron to 2.3v and week 25 to 2.2v.

So for those who get this random and if you are overclocking, the bottom line is W2K is not as overclock friendly as Win98, you may need to up the voltage or slow your overclocking down a bit.

lads how can any of ye say for certain ( or even speculate ) what is and isnt the problem. there could be an absolute mine of stuff causing this pc to lock up. my advice is stop listening to other peoples advise and READ THE FUKIN MANUAL. by that i mean read all the doucumentation on ur bios can and cant do, resolve the with ur hardware requirements and bingo, the pc works again