Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Andy_25

Monitor trouble with NVidia 5.14

I recently installed the 5.14 drivers for my TNT. For a while everything worked fine, and games even seemed to run a little bit faster.

Then Yesterday I was playing F1 2000, and the game worked ok and after returning to Windows, I left the computer for a while. When I came back, the screen saver had kicked in and here's the strange thing: the screen was very dark. So dark that it was difficult to see what was on it. This was at 800*600*32@75hz.

I tried rebooting, but no difference. I then tried different color depths, no change. The next thing I tried was different refresh rates, and no change there either, UNTIL I swithced to the lowest possible refresh rate, 60hz.

So, no it works at 800*600*32 @60hz. Other resolutions like 1024*768 and 640*480 seem to work with any refresh rate.

I also booted to Win98 and the same thing happens there, so I guess the culprit cannot be the 5.14 drivers?

I assume that it must be either my monitor or my Viper V550 thats screwed up. Any ideas as to which one it could be?

Is it possible for a monitor to stop working at one refresh rate and one resolution? How about the TNT?

Thanks, I really would appreciate any help!

I guess, I'm gonna have to buy either a new graphics card or a new monitor, I just would like know which one is causing the problem. The 60hz is really annoying on the eyes.

Andy

sounds like a driver problems

I sometime experience with the 5.14 drivers that my desktop is only white and pink and other pastel colors. And extremly bright frown

thing passes if I change resolution back and forth or something.

Don't know how to fix you problem. Go back to 5.13 maybe

I also thought that it was the 5.14 drivers that were causing the problems. But if this is the case, why does the same thing happen in Win98? I mean I'm using totally different drivers there.

I dont know if "dark" is the right word to describe the monitor; it's more like "dim" or "hazy".

My monitor is quite old (about 10years) so I thought that maybe it's "burned out". I was just wondering if it's possible for a monitor to "burn out" for just one resolution and a few refresh rates (800*600*32@70-120). Or if the same thing can happen to a graphics card

Then again, maybe it is the drivers.

Thanks again!

Andy