Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kEViNoPolY

Can't install new drivers in Windows 2000

I've got a little problem with Windows 2000: I can't install new drivers. Whenever I try to install a new driver it gives me an error-message which says that it couldn't find the needed files. I'm very sure the path is correct (it also let me choose the model I wanted to install), but right after I click on "Next" for installing the driver, it stops. That happens on every driver I try to install (monitor, graficcard, scanner). Even totally deinstalling and removing the old driver doesn't work - I always get this error.

Anyone an idea what I could do or look for? Some days ago it worked fine and I never had this strange behavior before. Thank you for your help.

~ Kevin

Do you install those drivers as Administrator? If not, then do so. To me it sounds like a file or path permission problem (since W2k can read - otherwise you would not see the different device choices)

Have fun

Llion

yeah it happens to me too.. I think.. i've only tried with display drivers. it gives me an error (when logged in as admin) that a specified file cannot be found.. but when you do a fresh win2k install i can install them fine.. its only after if i try and reinstall or upgrade drivers it busts.

Yes, I am logged in as Administrator - but it doesn't make any change. I also don't remember that I changed any rights, services or anything else in the computer management which would cause this.

Well, reinstalling might be a solution, but right now I'm not fancy of doing this. There must be another way...

~ Kevin

I have the same problem, and i need a fix for it with out a clean install, because i cant install win2k! i have to do it thru my friends computer (hardrive in his) , becasue it locks up on my system.

I've run into the same problem too. It seems only a clean install fixed the problem. It also seemed to only happen after installing the 5.13 drivers and running OpenGL applications.. maybe it corrupts something in the registry? It causes the file not found error on all drivers you try to install.. I couldnt find a way to fix it, unfortunatly.. I ended up having to clean install. =( If it's a problem with the 5.13 drivers, however, we cant really blame nVIDIA, because they're leaked drivers.. that probably means there wont ever be an 'official' fix for them.. If I still had the problem I'd probe around more to see if I could figure something out.. I'd suggest starting with driver-related registry entries.. it sounds like something corrupt in there.. Maybe run a registry-watching program while installing new drivers to see what exactly is going on?

------------------

-Da_G

do you know of this registry watching program, or where i could get it. i looked in the registry, but found nothing i could understand to be a problem.

People, you have to UNINSTALL the drivers if you have drivers previously installed. Windows 2K goes right to \\winnt\inf\ folder to look for drivers FIRST before anything. If it sees oem1.inf, it WILL NOT install YOUR UPGRADED drivers.

Note: it (windows 2K) changes nv4_disp.inf to oem1.inf and puts in the above directory. When you want to install the 5.x version you have to get that file OUT of the \\winnt\inf folder. Otherwise it'll keep wanting to install the same version you had!

I've seen this same post a 1000 times! I've never had problems installing/uninstalling the drivers.

Also Note, after you install the 5.x drivers you can remove them the "easy" way using add/remove programs. Much better (and easier) then uninstalling the 3.x drivers (those you have to delete manually).

Hope this solves everybody's problem with installing Detonator.

led, that does sound logical what you are talking about, but i had allready tried it before your post. it does nothing.

As I said above, I did deinstall the old drivers completly (removing all systemfiles, inf-files and registry-entries). It also affects other drivers, not the display drivers only. Anyways no changes. The last working driver I could install was the Detonator v3.81 some days ago - I was downgrading from 5.13 because of some problems.

~ Kevin

I have the same problem, and I spent hours trying to make it work to no avail. Short of wiping the system and reinstalling everything, I have no solution. My system now screwed as I am using the Microsoft NVIDIA drivers (nothing else works). There has got to be a solution.

Microsoft doesn't make a registry-watching program AFAIK... try doing a search at http://www.winfiles.com for one.. there are various programs that do this, I dont know any of their names unfortunatly.. What they do is let you watch the registry real-time so you can see as things are added, removed, changed, or accessed.. this might make allow us to find out what file exactly win2k is looking for..

------------------

-Da_G