Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mark W

No TV Support In Win2k!

I just got an email from Avermedia about my Aver TV/Phone TV/FM tuner. They said it will NOT be supported in win2k! I am pissed. Anyone have a tv tuner that does work in win2k (must have good stereo sound and prefferably an ir remote)?

don't be pissed, my Creative Decoder card (Inlay CT7165) is not supported under win2k. I was pissed too, it didn't do me any good.

It just bugs me that we spend good money and invest in a product and the vendor just says "Sorry, we don't plan on supporting win2k for your device. Screw you."

Oh well, I guess I have to find a new tv tuner. Is there a usb one? Or at least one that works in win2k w/o problems.

I have been in your place - I have an ATI TV Wonder - a very good card from a very bad company (in terms of support) and it is sitting in my desk drawer. In its' place in my computer is a Hauppauge WinTV PCI Stereo TV/FM card. Hauppauge has provided the best Win2k support that I have seen from any TV card manufacturer. Good luck!

Oh, and if somone points out that ATI said that they will be supporting the TV Wonder, their website says "to be announced". Sure... I trust that;-\

------------------

Shrink

92% of the things we worry about don't happen - but the other 8% DO!

Lack of TV Tuner support is the only reason I am still no win98. I have a Matrox Marvel G200 and would even switch over to a V3 3500 TV, but drivers are not out for either. Both Matrox and 3dfx aer saying 2 months for drivers.

------------------

Craig Tompkins

Are any generic Bt848 or Bt878 drivers available for W2k? I have a TV Wonder card that worked flawlessly in BeOS using generic Bt848 drivers.

I have Wintv-usb nice image and sound quality good recording utilities to after the rebate i got it for 30$

Lifeview's FlyVideo '98 FM works fine in both the TV tuner and FM tuner.

A few compatibiliy problems with W2k recognising the card, but it doesn't matter because the software stil works, and the picture/sound is good.

------------------

The information contained in this post has no nutritional value. I remove myself from all responsibility of the consequences should you print this post and consume it without taking the proper precautions.

Warning: This text best viewed with surround sound.

Most (nee all) brooktree chips are reverse compatible to the BT848, so thats not really a problem, the difficult part is the sound demodulation, and the type of tuner. If you know the type of tuner (mine is a philips) and wheter you have an external sound decoder (like a MSP34xx for Nicam/Stereo) you may need to do a bit of extra investigation, also these details are sometimes stored in an eeprom.

Unfortunately, I think its most likely there aren't any generic drivers for NT4/5 as its more complicated than others OS's. Additionally I would also expect that comercial drivers have PCI ID's hardwired inside the drivers, not just within the driver inf, for detecting whether you've got the right card.

If your capable, just steal some open source from linux and make your own driver :-)

It won't do any harm however to try try again.

Hmmm...

Tried the generic drivers. Picture worked well, but no sound. I'm running the signal through my VCR and into my sound card as a workaround.

The FlyVideo drivers install fine; Windows even detected them. However, when I try to run any viewer application, I get a "Hardware is not a FlyVideo!" error from the drivers.

I'm still working on this, and will post if I get anywhere.

Success!

The ATI TV Wonder is fully functional in Windows 2000, using Bt848 reference drivers for video and tuning, and thr FlyVideo 2000 sound driver and viewer.

Install the Bt drivers (Bt848.inf) first, making sure to install the crossbar and tuner components after the WDM video capture driver. Reboot, then install the FlyVideo driver (Flyvideo.inf) on the audio portion only (FlyVideo 2000 Secondary Controller).

The NTTV application is the viewer. The 'on-screen" tuner controls won't work, but you can tune card by choosing the tuner button in the AV Settings menu (right click the nttv border).

It is still buggy; the tuner button disappears from time to time, and the audio output from the tuner does not shut off at times. I'm not sure how to solve the first problem, but the sound will cut out if the composite/Svideo option is selected while the tuner is tuned to a channel without a decent audio signal (static channels).

I have made the files available at http://members.xoom.com/tvwonderwin2/

I got the things working but no sound and I can't change channels. =(

I'll start from the end of your question.

The tuner control in NTTV disappears if you quit the app with the input set to Video Tuner. If you change it to composite before quitting, the TV Tuner button will reappear. Keep in mind that both the Video Source and the tuner properties pages will have to remain open for you to change channels while watching TV, so it would be wise to move them out of the way.

As for the sound, are you using the FlyVideo audio drivers? Did you turn up the line-in volume? Uncheck the "mute" box?

My 2 cents...

I got the Aims Lab Video Highway Xtreme (BT848) generic, it works under beOS, but i couldn't get it to work in 2k, any luck anyone?

------------------

If it doesn't work, PLUG IT IN!

I have a Avermedia TV98 card, and it works fine under Win2k. Ok, it ran better under Win98, but it runs... I just got them from their site, no problems in getting them to work, but no teletext support :-(