Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ao gram

Athlon + Geforce + Win2k. What driver?

I've experimented with most of the drivers available and was wondering what the most stable win2k/athlon/geforce driver is. I have a leadtek DDR and use the tvout sometimes, but it isn't totally needed in compatibility. all i want is to be able to play a quake3 game w/o lockups. thanks!

depends on individual results, use 5.13 and try different opengl dll's and stick with whatever works or use 5.13 and if it locks up underclock ur card u shouldnt get any lock ups and still get excellent perofrmance

Hey,

I have gone through huge headaches with that exact combo, althalon-geforce-win2k

I have found the following, dont know if it applies to anyone else.

drivers 3.72-3.79 = games work fine, no crashes, however random and hard crashes in desktop during mouse movement.

drivers 5.13 = desktop and all normal win2k stuff works great, no desktop crashes....games however (thief 2, Soldier of fortune, etc.) crash at least once a day when run

driver 3.66 = seems to work fine in both desktop and games, but maybe i have just been lucky

one more thing...drivers 5.13 seem to only allow AGPx1. I have this program, Winincpu, which shows chipset info. Under the 3.xx series it shows AGPx2, under the 5.13 it shows AGPx1....wierd

anyways hope that helps.

Nice to know someone else is having these probs, not just me. I nearly formatted today and reinstalled Win98, but had my spouse smack the bejesus out of me to erase any such notions. I'm trying the 3.66 det. drivers now, hope this works. ill post response in a bit..

the best driver for me was the tnt2 3.81 or 5.13 but still crash during game play particularly unreal tournamnet in high res after 5-10 minutes and other games too.

i try different setup and found one who gives me satisfaction means no crash with the driver 5.13

first i upgrade my bios(k7m board/athlon500/196 ram)to the latest beta bios,and optimize the bios for my viper v770(see your specific bios setting in your homepage manufacturer) non ultra ex :pci latency timer 128,memory apertume 512,video shadow 32k and 16 k enable.

and i installed the 5.13 driver(both in win2k and win98se(utilize the 5.13 for win98se) dual boot)choose tnt2 ultra for my card(mine is a non ultra but choosing this setup was better for me)installe powerstrip for win2k(enable memory recovery and agp2X) and that it no more problems