Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
slkh

Does your DVDROM report the correct disk size?

Does your DVDROM report the correct disk size?

Although fully playable, my DVDROM seems to report the wrong disk size/file size in Windows 2000. A full 8 Gb DVD is reported as 2.1 Gb only.

Definitely report the correct size in Windows 98.

I suspect it could have been reporting the wrong disk size/file size all the while that I didn't notice it all the while. Or it could have been some of the problems that my patches has done to it.

Comments and solutions?

--

Pioneer 104S 10x/40x DVDROM with Version 1.25 Firmware from 7th Zone.

Windows 2000 (2195)

Patch applied so far:-

All the patch available from Windows Update

Unoffical patch for DirectCD 3.0

DirectCD 3.01 patch

Japanese DirectCD 3.01b patch.

I am very surprise as no body seems to own a DVD Rom drive in this forum?? smile

Someone please tell me whether your DVDRom report the correct size of your DVD?

I just checked mine here at work and it seems to be reporting correctly. I stuck in Monty Python on my compaq and it reported it as 3.95 gig. It is a compaq DVD drive I don't know specifically what one they use because it reports it as just a compaq DVD drive.

Sounds like LBA mode is off for your device (check bios/auto-detect). LBA is required to show large hard drives as greater than 2gb, so it seems a similar problem. I just checked mine and Ghost in the Shell shows as 4+gb.

Hope that helps,

:}

I had the very same problem... At first I didn't know what caused it, but the I noticed that when I looked at my DVD-rom's properties it said that file system was UDFRDR, not UDF or whatever it is that DVD-rom is supposed to have. Well, I unistalled udfreader and everything worked perfectly! I don't know if you have this problem, but check what file system is in use on your dvd-rom...

Hope this is of some use smile

Dragon-Lord,

I tried what you have said, Auto detect/Auto LBA mode. Yes, they are in already in this mode.

Juti,

Yes, I remember a CDRW of mine install UDFRDR for me. The File system said to be UDFRDR not UDF, which sounds like I have the same problem as you last time. But problem is how do I uninstall the UDFRDR? I can't find it in my Add/Remove program in control panel.

Now that's a bit tougher question smile I managed to uninstall the udfreader from add/remove programs... hmm...

I have to say I can't help you on that one... I hope someone else can tell an easy solution for this problem.

Juti,

Thanks for your info anyway. Do you have problem reading CDRW drive on your DVDROM without the UDFRDR?

Anyway, since it is not giving me any error of sort, I think I just leave it alone. The numbers are not important for me. It would be nice if it is fix smile

Yup... I can't read cd-rw's with either one of my drives, because w2k wants to install UDFRDR always...

It's not giving you any errors??? Whoa! smile I couldn't play dvds and when I tried to use web pages/software that was stuffed on some dvds, I'd get a BSOD... I couldn't figure out any explanation except that w2k really did think that the discs were only 2GB, and got too confused when I tried to use something that was located outside of that 2GB area smile But if it works fine on your computer, do keep it that way smile

It allows me to play DVDs perfectly okay on Windows 2000.

I haven't have any software on DVD yet. smile

My DVD games still on my shelves, haven't open the plastic yet. If problem persist when running those games, I will reinstall everything from scratch again and wont install the UDFRDR stuff.. I hope Adaptec is aware of this thing. But somehow never seen anyone complaining about it in Adpatec newsgroup???

Interesting... I haven't personally ever even read the Adaptec newsgroups... Maybe there are only a few selected ones who get this feature in their drivers wink Or maybe it has got something to do with hardware or... I have installed w2k twice, and both times I had the same problem... Peculiar. Let's see what happens when I buy a new DVD-drive. smile

When I try to put any CD in my DVD-Rom drive, it won't even read it. It doesn't recognize that the CD even exists. I just recently reinstalled win2k (build 2195), before everything was working great.

------------------

-Brett Neuman

bneuman@mail.utexas.edu