Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Bazzinett

Dual boot now with WinNT/Win2k, would like to change to win9

Here is my work machine. C: drive-winnt 40 server, d:-technet cd image, e: -zip drive, f:-win2k server partition, g: -cdrom

Boot.ini is set for win2k and winnt40 dual boot. Would like to change it to a win95/win2k dual boot setup. How do I do this safely and not mess any settings to the win2k partition (utmost importance!!!). Win95 setup will usually set the boot up to an msdos.sys type of boot up instead of the ntldr load up. How do I change this back. ERD disks give you the option to change this? And what do I edit the boot .ini file so that it gives me the option to boot to window. I think it is c:\windows, but not too sure.

I would like to hear from someone who has done this before and what I can expect to run into during the process. Thanks for the replies in advance. smile

If you're running NTFS then you'll have to convert this to fat16/32 first.

After that the easiest way is to add entries to the boot.ini and copy (not use sys.com) the win95 system files (msdos.sys+command.com) to the root dir of your C: drive. btw it's just "C:\" not "C:\windows". If you just add the entry you should be able to choose it at boot without screwing up the rest of the system. This is the "safe" way.

On the other hand if you have win95 on cd you could just use a boot disk with cdrom drivers on it and just install win95 to c:\windows. The setup program should (hopefully)automagically add entries to the boot.ini. You have to have fat16 for this to work. Note: this worked in win98, but I'm not sure this will work with win95 setup. Make an NT bootdisk first just in case.

Boot from a floppy. Format the C: drive install W9x.

Boot with W2K CD and repair the bootloader.

Job done.