Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tony1c

Does DirectX 7 work with Win2K?

I can't play any 3d DX7 games (Thief 2, Half-Life) w/o terrible graphic anomalies (flashing polygons, flickering textures, and smeared lights).

This is on a CL GeForce/PIII. I've tried all drivers for my video card and monitor. 5.13 cause my system to reboot so I can't use them.

My roomate has a very different system and has the same problem (flashing polys). The only thing common between us is the GeForce and Win2K. So I assume I'm not the only one.

I suspect it has something to do with VSYNC, but there's know way I know to force it on.

And help would be appreciated.

well there are TONS of things I can tell u but I will need ur help here. When using 5.13 drivers when does the system reboot? does it just randomly reboot? does it reboot when starting an opengl based game? does it restart when starting a d3d game?

do you get a blue screen of death? if so what does it say? have u tried under clocking ur card? do u get any freezeups after the weird anomalies start? how does quake 2 run? if u dont have the game download the demo from www.3dfiles.com

once u answer some of the above questions I can recommend a few things. Such as if its an opengl problem, use 5.13 but change the opengl dll to a version that is compatible with ur system, then goto display properties and fix vsync via the display properties. This can only be done with det. 5.13 sicne they have the *.cpl file which gives the ability to change multiple graphics card options via display properties. its 3:04 am there are many things to do but gimme ur input first. SOrry for grammer and spelling Im tired and hungry as sheat.

khan

Well here's the specifics:

With 5.13 my comp either locks up or reboots. This is spontaneously and at random. No BSOD. It happens any time in 2d and 3d apps.

All OpenGL games (Q3, Q2, Half-Life in OpenGL mode) work fine (except for above problem).

All 3D DX7 games (Thief II, Half-Life in DX mode, etc.) have the flashing 3d textures and polys as soon as they start. These anomalies are worse at lower rez (I assume because of the higher FPS).

I'm still convinced that V-SYNC isn't on in DX7 3d games.

I've got to do my taxes... then I'll play around with the 5.13 drivers some more. =)

Thanks for the reply,

Tony