Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dougmach

TV Tuner audio

Diamond DTV2000 (BT484) and Sound Blaster PCI128 (CT5880). Both Xaw TV & Zapping, Video is OK but I'm having audio trouble.. As soon as linux boots up I hear the audio from the TV tuner. Audio is also poor, as I'm scrolling through channels the volume changes and sometimes its mono sometimes its stereo sometimes its so low you can't hear it unless you crank the speakers. When I close the TV App I can still here the tv sound.

Dual boot system Win98 and Mandrake 9.1 RC2.. Tuner works fine in win98.

Anybody have a suggestions? I'm fairly new to Linux and have searched google groups but couldn't find anything.. frown

Doug

Hi

I use a pixel view, but the sound had me crazy for a while.

I have'nt tried mandrake 9.1 I use 9.0 .

Nevertheless here goes, Mandrake does'nt set up the card very well.

I had to manually configure modules.conf

try these lines

# i2c

alias char-major-89 i2c-dev

options i2c-core i2c_debug=1

options i2c-algo-bit bit_test=1

# bttv

alias char-major-81 videodev

alias char-major-81-0 bttv

options bttv card=5

options tuner type=2

Ok I'm guessing the tuner type, ( 2 corresponds to philips ntsc which is the most common tuner type)

You could also try xawtv with option -v ( verbose, debug )

I appreciate your response. I believe you are right about the tuner type=2. I tried adding the lines to the modules.conf file in \etc - rebooted and had the same problem. Oh well

Ok.

Mandrake also dose'nt figure out sound cards very well. You may be wondering why I use Mandrake? Disk drake is the awnser.

Anyhow Install the alsa drivers you can find them at www.alsa-project.org.

follow their instructions carefully, this may well solve your problem.

Never quit , maybe next year you can shit can windows for good.

Thanks again... I'll give these sound card drivers a try this weekend and post the results...

Downloaded and installed the ALSA drivers.. nothing changed... since I am using 9.1 beta, i'll wait until the final comes out and try it again. Does anyone know if the final 9.1 will have the new BTTV 0.9.X and/or video for Linux 2 (v4l2) included? I have tried installing these in the beta version but was unsuccesful.. Anyway the final should be out soon so I will post back here what the outcome is once I install it.

thanks again for the advice smile