Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jonny

busmastering win2k?

Anybody know how its possible to get udma in win2k. Im getting 12mbs read speads. I have an via apolla mvp3. Via hasnt released any drivers But I guess I was just wondering if anyone has gotten any type of busmastering or udma for this chip. Thanks.

Go to

Control Panel, Admin Tools, Computer Management, Device Manager, IDE etc Controllers, Primary IDE Channel,

then hit the Advanced Settings tab. You should see the options there . . .

Thanks I see it and its checked as dma if possible but I still only get 12mbps. I guess I need to wait for via. Oh well only a little longer.

That properties page should also tell you what mode it's actually using. I get "Ultra DMA Mode" with my P6DBS...

Hmmm... Im pretty sure that you are using udma, as 12MBps is actually pretty fast. A 7200 Rpm GXP IBM drive will get about that sustained rate. You go above that (say 33 MBps under UTA or 66MBps under UTA/66) only from buffered reads (hence the "max" transfer rate used by manufacturers). Even with a new DiamondMax VL20 (which is 7200rpm) you get only about 15MBps sustained. In fact, the 1000rpm SCSI Cheetah HDDs i use at work barely get to 18Mbps.

daniel

HI!...I do have DMA enabled but it still says PIO MODE under PRIMARY IDE CONTROLLER

In 98 my Hard disk worked fine in DMA mode...

My HD is Seagate 9,1Gb model ST39140A I supports UDMA33....

Does anyone have a solution to get DMA enabled for this drive except god ofcourse???

I am having the same problem. I have an IBM 22GXP HDD an AOPEN AX6BC M-Board, The DMA settings are turned on, the motherboard's BIOS detects the drive as UDMA 33, but Win 2000 says PIO mode. I haven't been able to find a solution yet either.

Check for a bios upgrade. I heard this helped a lot of people with the same problem.

This forum kicks ass...I found out my new DVD drive was running PIO when I checked the IDE settings. Now it is running UDMA like the rest of the system.

Muchas gracias...

:}

Did u check if there are any VIA busmastering drivers? Is the UDMA mode set in the BIOS? Even *auto* would do, since it will enable it if your HD supports it...