Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rbarbier

Liveware problem theory.

It looks to me but most (not all) people that are having problems with the newest Liveware for Win2k are running dual processors. Maybe because they had the Nt4.0 drivers installed first or something but this is just my theory. I am running single processor and everything is great.

Nope, that's probably not the problem. Check my latest post in the "Liveware 2k is EVIL post" to learn more.

But isn't it true that the Liveware drivers from Nt4.0 don't support Dual Processors? So if you installed these first then installed the released drivers this could cause a conflict. So yes, you will have to remove all the drivers first and install the released drivers.

That is possible... no one is sure WHY the old drivers confilct with the new ones, all we know is that they DO smile

rbarbier is partially correct.

New/old dirvers probably do screw themselves over.. BUT the fact still remains that the drivers are NOT smp friendly(at least not BP6 smp friendly). I have a clean w2k install and virgin wdm sblive drivers before I upgraded to the w2k live drivers/package. My sound works but is ****ed.

Sound from stuff(games, winamp, beeps, etc) eventually start stuttering and hangs shutdowns waiting for a certain process to die...

Also eax is broken. tested with rally2k and HL.. sounds become lagged and repeat after a second or so..

hmm.. what else broken can i bring up? oh yeah.. mediaplayer will start skipping every couple seconds if you don't bump down the sound acceleration in the multimedia options..

My friend who has a 1 cpu bp6 setupwith the sblive and w2k doesn't have any of the above problems... (i'm not sure if his eax works though)..

mr_yellow

I thought the drivers OFFICIALLY supported SMP.

Am I wrong?

mr. yellow,

Thanks for the response. I just have been reading peoples problems and most of them do have dual processors. I don't get any of those problems that you were describing and I have a single cpu and I ran everything from nt4.0 drivers to dell to you name it. I guess I am one of the "lucky" ones.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jabba:
I thought the drivers OFFICIALLY supported SMP.

Am I wrong?

Well.. they DO work.. just not well... But i usually don't trust the PR people.. Are you running smp and EVERYTHING works fine for you?

I'm running smp and the sound is like ****e since I downgraded to 128mb of ram. It should'nt matter since all the games I have use the 1 cpu should it?

SMP is not actually the issue. The problem is the same regardless of many machine configurations. Every Liveware 2K user has this problem to a certain degree. However, in the past the SMP people have had more problems, and are more tempted to blame Creative. Creative is an equal-opportunity poor driver writer!

As I have stated in a bunch of other threads, the drivers are overwriting the DMA data for the card. As far as the card is concerned, it is playing exactly what it is supposed to.

Creative is aware of this problem, and their advice is to use the basic WDM drivers provided on the Win2k CD, which work fine. LW4 will be out in the not too distant future, and hopefully will fix this issue.

The strange thing is is that, before I had installed liveware2k, i still got the DMA problem of permently stuttering sound and crashes etc with the WDM drivers.. weird eh?

I guess it just sucks to be me..