Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Unkoon2000

DSL Sharing Question

I was wondering if you can share DSL over a Network (Netgear SB104 Starter Kit)? Can anyone tell me if you can.

My understanding is that you need a dsl router. linksys makes a good one with 4 ports on it so you dont need a hub. it is around 160 but it has firewall protection so it is worth it. that is what i am getting.

------------------

Amd k7 500 w/ 3dnow and mmx. :: 192 mb sd100 ram.

Biostar m7mka mobo. :: Maxtor 20 gig hardrive :: quantum fireball 4 gig hardirve :: 32x toshieba cd rom. :: 2x write 4x read phillips cdr w/ adaptec scsi. :: Winfast nvidia geforce 256 ddr 32mb w/ tv out. :: Diamond monster mx 300 Sound. :: Standard Floppy. :: 5 speakers including a subwoofer. :: Us robotics external 56k modem x2 v.90. :: Intellimouse explorer. ::

Standard gateway keyboard. :: 17 inch gateway ev700 monitor. :: Epson stylus color 600 printer. :: Info scaner. :: D-link 10/100 mbit ethernet lan card. dfe-530tx+ w/ wol. :: Windows 2000 Professional.

Hey there,

Yes you can. I do at home. You need to make one of the machine multi-homed. That is two nic cards. One for the internal network and one for the DSL connection. Ten you need to run either NAT software like Sygate or a web proxy like MS proxy server or Winproxy. Win2k and win98 have internet sharing. I think its win98SE that has it and win98 you need to download the software from M$. MY advice is to use two nic cards of the same brand/type in the box hosting the DSL connection to avoid any headaches. DSL routers are neat but it is an expensive alternative to just running NAT software and two nic cards. If you need more help you can email me at gpraider@hotmail.com.

GPR

Well, it largely depends on your DSL plan. Do you use SBC (Ameritech, PacBell, etc.)? PPPoE also makes things an additional hassle.

In my case, I have multiple IP's, so I plug my *external* DSL modem directly into my hub, and everything works fine. This is more costly (as the ISP/Telco will charge for the extra IPs), but it makes life easier.

If you have an internal DSL modem, then all you need is a NIC and Windows 2000's connection sharing. The act of setting up a proxy is a bit of a pain, as long as you set your machine up intelligently, you won't need to worry about security. Also, the only situation that would require TWO NICs would be an external DSL modem with one IP (using PPPoE, etc).

And no, you don't need a DSL router. Your DSL modem should handle everything appropriately. Also, make sure that you get your DSL hardware from your ISP!!!

Standards aren't widely established yet in the DSL business, so it is unlikely that something you buy "off the shelf" will work with your ISP. The new standard is called G-Lite, but it is just starting to see adoption.

Anyway, this isn't the best forum for help with DSL.

You might want to head over to http://www.dslreports.com/ if you have further questions. Sure I can answer them, but yours is a fairly typical question, and there are numerous replies in their forums.