Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Reaper_uk

DMA mode not working, why??

Ok, i have a toshiba 6x DVD (SD-M1302) and a creative 48x CD-ROM (4832E). I'm using the ALi V chipset (ALi M5229 PCI Bus Master IDE Controller) on a BCM VP1543 motherboard SS7(yes i know i should get a more heard of better motherboard but i needed a cheap motherboard and quickly) Both devices on my secondary IDE cable.

Anyway, i can't seems to get either device to use DMA mode in win2k? i've set it to "use DMA if available" but they still both use PIO mode.

I'm using the default drivers for the chipset and drives that win2k put on, and there aren't any updates around, or so i believe.

Does anybody have any idea why this might be happening?

(if you need more info on my machine just ask)

BTW, i would suggest people do go and check they are using DMA mode becuase when i went into mirc for some help a couple of people looked and they were using PIO mode too, but they could turn DMA when they changed the settings, bastards.

Cheers for any help i may get.

I had the same problem and i was told DMA only works if you have that drive set on Master.

Quote:
Originally posted by Reaper_uk:
Ok, i have a toshiba 6x DVD (SD-M1302) and a creative 48x CD-ROM (4832E). I'm using the ALi V chipset (ALi M5229 PCI Bus Master IDE Controller) on a BCM VP1543 motherboard SS7(yes i know i should get a more heard of better motherboard but i needed a cheap motherboard and quickly) Both devices on my secondary IDE cable.
Anyway, i can't seems to get either device to use DMA mode in win2k? i've set it to "use DMA if available" but they still both use PIO mode.

I'm using the default drivers for the chipset and drives that win2k put on, and there aren't any updates around, or so i believe.

Does anybody have any idea why this might be happening?
(if you need more info on my machine just ask)

BTW, i would suggest people do go and check they are using DMA mode becuase when i went into mirc for some help a couple of people looked and they were using PIO mode too, but they could turn DMA when they changed the settings, bastards.

Cheers for any help i may get.

strange i got the same ali chipset and works just fine on the primary ide channel win2k even has set my quantum cr fireball to ultra/dma but does your harddrive on primary ide channel support ultradma ?? And if it is supported does it work ?

Have a look in your BIOS to see what mode each Device is using.

It should be Mode 4, and this should enable you to select DMA under Windows 2000.

Most BIOS will let you set the IDE Channels to Auto Detect, and most of the time it should be set to just this.

ok, i've fixed my problem, there was a new bios out couple of days ago so i put that on and my my DVD_ROM is now detected as ultra DMA, my CD-ROM is DMA, and my zip drive is also DMA. so thats good. only bad thing is that i can't watch DVDs anymore it doesn't seem to like my have UDMA, major bummer, so its back to PIO mode for me for now.