Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mr_yellow

Nvidia Geforce/TNT drivers 3.81

Yay.. I get to be the guy who first posts it on the forum!

Saw it on voodooextreme. I'm going to try it out later.

I've been using them for about 30 minutes now and no lockups like I was getting with any of the drivers after 3.66. That doesn't mean anything though. The lockups were pretty much always random and I could go for a couple of hours or just a couple of seconds. Here's to hoping though! smile

Pete

Since I've posted that last message, I've yet to have a SINGLE lockup. At this point, it looks like Nvidia fixed the problem. smile

Pete

Works oh so well smile

Nothing else to say smile

------------------

God gave me life, the AwP gives me the strength !

So let me shoot them all,

and let God sort them out !

How about general performance? Did you guys notice any significant improvement over 3.78 for example? I'm just wondering whether I should install the new drivers.

Does anyone know exactly what is different about the new drivers... are they faster/better looking, or are they just fixin lockups? also is there any way to make fsaa or s3tc work with these drivers.

------------------

Amd k7 500 w/ 3dnow and mmx. :: 192 mb sd100 ram.

Biostar m7mka mobo. :: 32x toshieba cd rom. :: 2x write 4x read phillips cdr w/ adaptec scsi. :: Winfast nvidia geforce 256 ddr 32mb w/ tv out. :: Diamond monster mx 300 Sound. :: Standard Floppy. :: 5 speakers including a subwoofer. :: Us robotics external 56k modem x2 v.90. :: Intellimouse explorer. ::

Standard gateway keyboard. :: 17 inch gateway ev700 monitor. :: Epson stylus color 600 printer. :: Info scaner. :: D-link 10/100 mbit ethernet lan card. dfe-530tx+ w/ wol. :: Windows 2000 Professional.

Doh - just posted this in the games forum smile

They're fine, it seems - games performance has been good when I've played Q3 - and (so far, touch wood) no random lock-ups.

The one "BIG" pain though, is that some drop-down, etc menus are invisible when selected - and don't appear until you move the mouse over where they would be....annoying to say the least.

Exorcist

Since i installed the 3.81 drivers i couldn't change any video settings in Quake3 and halflife would periodically give an error while exitting. when i rolled back to the 3.78 drivers everything worked fine again. maybe none of that is happening with you guys but i am going to hold off until a official release!

OK

Loaded new drivers and all is well.

But what about tweaking my card with software?

Plus I am unable to change my monitor type any where I assumed this was due to DDR not being present in the NVidia driver?

TIA

Ned

These new drivers kick ass!

So hows this for improvement?

188 FPS quake2 640x480 3dnow!OpenGL 3.81 drivers

160 FPS quake2 640x480 3dnow!OpenGL 3.78 drivers and the same scores with 3.78/3.66 mini.sys combo.

Sound quality was high.

Athlon 650

Geforce SDR 3D Prophet not OC'd

256Megs Crucial PC133 cas2

K7Pro MB

SB Live!

Raid 0 2x13.6 7200rpm

blah blah blah.

Yes, these drivers rox! Before w/ the 3.78 in the level q3dm1 of q3, when u see the big tongue, the game was slow (and not in win9x)... Then after I have installed the 3.81, q3 was very smooth!! Like Win9x...!

My geforce bites in win2k.

I have used every driver but to no avail.

****ty frame rates etc.

Some tests using 3dmark 2000 dont even run.

The highest score I have gained is a bog standard 789.

WTF!!!.

Any Ideas?.

My system.

shuttle hot591p (via)

k6-2 500

64mb

leadtek geforce sdr (cheap and nasty)

13 gig udma

sblive

36x cd

You need at least another 128 megs of ram =)

Allegory,

For Win2k to have similar performance in a machine that was running Windows 98, you need almost double the RAM. So a system with 64meg may be fine in 98, but in Win2k, needs 128.

My PC was running 98 with 128meg, when I upgrade to Win2k, it was a little sluggish in some things. Upgrading to 256, made it faster than 98, even in games. Windows NT and 2000 need more RAM than their Windows 9x counterparts.

BTW, these drivers seem to enable AGP in Quake 3 (openGL). Quake 3 always said Geforce/SSE/PCI, now it says Geforce/SSE/AGP. These drivers are definitely a big improvement, and I think starting with 3.79, video out should work. You have to plug in your video cable first before booting.

Mike

Everything you say about the double of RAM, you mean for every program or in games only ?

On my system with a GeForce, I think that Quake 3 (OpenGL) is working fine, but I have a lot of slowdowns when playing UT (Direct3D).

Maybe the drivers are not good yet in D3D ?

By the way, do you know how to access the GeForce control panel on W2k ?

Thanx

---------------

Athlon 500

Asus K7M

GeForce SDR 32Mo 3D Prophet

128 Mo RAM

SBLive! 1024

blank screen,blank screen,blank screen,blank screen,blank screen,blank screen,blank screen,blank screen,blank screen,blank screen,blank screen,blank screen,blank screen

Is all I ever see...

Sigh...

Still stuck with 3.66 frown

------------------

System Spec:

FIC VA-503+ 1.1b bios JK4324 CPU

Current Limiter Disabled

AMD K6-2 450AHX (300 when I talk to FIC tech support)

128Mb SSi PC100

STB Velocity 4400 16Mb PAL TV-Out

Hauppauge Wintv

Realtek 8029 LAN

Creative ES1371 (PCI64)

28.8k cheap modem

Creative 48mx CDROM

Maxtor 91301U3

LS120

So far they've run perfectly for me - no random lock-ups, and that bizarre menu thing has never happened again.

Only problem I've had is while playing UT, as the post a couple above says, get quite a few slow-downs while playing it frown - but Q3 runs fine..

Still got a way to go though, going the right way. smile

Exorcist

Quote:
Originally posted by euankirkhope:
blank screen,blank screen,blank screen,blank screen,blank screen,blank screen,blank screen,blank screen,blank screen,blank screen,blank screen,blank screen,blank screen

Is all I ever see...

Sigh...

Still stuck with 3.66 frown

I got the same blankscreen startup after i updated my 3.78 drivers to 3.81.. i booted to safe mode, rebooted into regular mode, and updated the wdm drivers to 3.81 and it worked. Maybe you can try that.. Or stickwiht 3.66 since everyone seems to like those.

hope this helps.

mr_yellow