Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MajorGeek

Narrowing Down My Choice For Linux

If you like RedHat... You'll love... Mandrake...

Only thing, I'd wait a couple of weeks as both Distros are about to increment... Redhat to 8.1, Mandrake to 9.1

RedHat and Mandrake are both RPM based Distributions. Either are very good.

For when you get really serious... Try Debian... it's all about the maintenance, and changing of purpose ability without ever re-loading the OS.

Thanks, yeah, got RedHat going no problem, just being a newbie its a little frustrating getting OpenGL and Nvidia drivers going, with Windows its double click and your off. I dont really blame Linux, its just a learning curve.

Im actually excited to see the new version, especially RedHat 8.1, I guess Lindows is working on 4.0 now as well, I see you can download the current alpha if your one of the suckers who forked over 299 bucks, not me. I aint paying anyone 299 for an OS, dont mind paying, but you know..

Ill look into Mandrake when it releases.

My experience so far:

Red Hat 8.1 Beta 3

Runs stable, even with downgraded Kernel 2.4.18 from RH 8.0. The kernel downgrade was necessary because of the nVidia drivers ;(

Mandrake Linux 9.1 RC2

This release has still some stability issues.

If you like to try out a Debian based OS, check out Knoppix. Knoppix runs directly from the CD, but you can also install Knoppix on the harddisk.