Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
chrisrik

USB in Win2k?

Why doesn't it work?

Little-Bill said:

"Your computer's system firmware does not include enough information to properly configure and use this device. To use this device, contact your computer manufacturer to obtain a firmware or BIOS update. (Code 35)

Click Troubleshooter to start the troubleshooter for this device."

But it worked before and I haven't touched enything from that time!

I have Win2k Final, and Abit BP6.

I need help!

------------------

Christian

You need the QQ bios on your BP6 for not only USB to function properly but fur ACPI too. Of course if you flash you need to repair w2k. Look for a thread that went into this at length in this section.

I have the BP6 (actually two systems with that board) and neither on will work correctly ie: just like everyone elses. I cannot get ACPI to work on either one (even with the QQ BIOS) and I cannot get MPS 1.4 to work with USB.

Supposedly the QQ BIOS fixes the problems with ACPI and MPS 1.4 but there are still problems with mine.

Ed

To get USB working, I changed MPS 1.4 in the BIOS to 1.1 (when I had MPS Multiprocessors device driver installed), and to get ACPI working in WIN2K, disable power management & enable ACPI under the power options in the BIOS, you also need to use the repair option (by using a boot disk, going into DOS and accessing the D:\I386\WINNT.EXE, select R to repair). I had to do this just to get into WIN2K or I would get this dumb blue screen telling me to uninstall any new hardware or software bla bla bla.

After I did the repair, my registry seemed to be intact and my desktop settings and every thing were just how I left them. I haven’t tried changing MPS 1.4 to 1.1 yet, and USB still doesn’t work even with this QQ BIOS.

BTW: What is so different between MPS and ACPI??? Performance? Power Management? Both?