Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
smittycb10

newbie trying to configure sound card

I have just installed my first ever Linux system and was very excited till i tried using sound.

yast2 will not install or configure my sound card, the card is ES1869

plug and play audio drive, this card is integrated into the mother board.

When i try to add the card in yast2 I get the following error message

================================================ The kernal module snd-es18XX for sound support could not be loaded,

Incorect module parameter including IO or IRQ parameter.

================================================ whem i tried using the audio cd module from Konquer I also got a

error message, could this connected to the problem? The speakers do emit beeps on boot up and shut down, so ....?

I looked up IO and IRQ in the documentation, that really didn't clear up matters. I am new to this stuff so please explain in baby steps.

Okay, it seems that yast2 is trying to load the correct module for the chipset you mention. Something that will help us help you is if you could paste here the output of 'lspci -v'. Also, sometimes integrated sound chips will have BIOS-level options. Go into the BIOS setup and pole around looking for anything having to do with the sound card. Also, while you're in there, set it to "PnP (Plug and Play) OS? NO" if there is such an option. Sometimes, in the BIOS you will have the option of slecting the irq and I/O settings. Just write down what they are if it is in fact listed. Then, back in the OS, paste us that output and we'll see what we can figure out.

Also, give us some info such as your exact distro information, what kernel you are running ('uname -a'), what modules are loaded ('lsmod'), and whatever else you would consider helpful.

my soundcard wont work in linux at first also when i use the winamp looking player. now see that linux has low volume. i put the speaker to high and it work! maybe your speaker is low volume?

i am not the linux expert but also a new user.