Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
green samurai

scsi hd problem

hello to all

i got 2 compaq scsi hd and wana to add'id to my system(2 ide hd+usb optional hd+1 segate scsi hd+adaptec aha-2940u/2940uw/2940d pci scsi controller) frown

when try to initialise got error message: source:LDM...even id:2 "unspecified error (80004005)... cry

with the scsi bios program i formatet the 2 hd & veryfied...OK,

but no way to initialized.....PLS HHHEEEEELLLLLPPPPPPPP !!!

Make sure the hardware is set up correctly with the proper cabling and termination. I won't set up SCSI w/o active termination on my device strings. You can use the internal passive termination that comes with most 68-pin hard drives, but active is much better (be sure to disable any internal termination when an external active or passive terminator is used). I also set the Term.Power jumper on only the last drive (next to the terminator) to Enabled - it may not be necessary, but it won't hurt either. Also the Host Adapter card should be flashed to the latest Firmware rev - that comes from the Adaptec site as well.

. See the SCSIFAQ link below for more tech info, software tools, SCSI spe[censored]t reseller links, etc.

Most commercial partitioning programs and the utility boot CDs like the Ultimate Boot CDs for DOS or Win, Hiren's, or some Linux live CDs like Knoppix have partitioning tools and can set SCSI drives up.

. For Win to recognize them, generally you want to have ASPI support installed (you can get the latest version of ASPI for your version of Win from the Adaptec web site along with a utility that will tell you whether ASPI is already installed in Win and its version. I recommend installing or up[censored] ASPI on all Win PCs (even though they say it's for SCSI only) as it has gotten rid of strange hard and optical drive behaviors for me (remember, most RAID controllers and SATA controllers are treated like SCSI internally to Windows) and I've not heard of it screwing anything up - if your storage system needs it, it will use it, otherwise it will just sit there taking up a very small amount of memory. You will also want to get the latest SCSI drivers specific to your Host Adapter card (often mistakenly called a controller card - each device has its own controller - that's partly why SCSI drives are more expensive) and the version of Win you have from the Adaptec site at the same time. Install the ASPI first if necessary, then reboot Win and install or update (as Win may have installed an older version) the drivers.

Get lots of SCSI info here: http://www.scscfaq.org

.bh.

If you have further questions after the above, try posting them at the forums.anandtech.com in the Peripherals section. There is a real SCSI hotshoe there who usually chimes in on all SCSI questions (I'm basically a SCSI dabbler who has gone over to the dark side, SATA), so be sure SCSI is in your thread title.

.bh.