Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Apoptosis

Abit BP6 Rant

I would like to take a second to complain about Abit. In particular their driver support for the BP6. I have had this mobo basicly since it came out. It was a great idea and seemed perfect for the Win2k machine I was building. In fact after I bought it, it received several mobo of the year awards. So you think with such great hardware, Abit would complement it with great software. This has not been the case. Abit seems to think putting out "Offical" BIOS every 5 months is supporting its product. This might be ok if the BIOS they put out were fully functional. For those who have it I am refering particularly with ASPI <> UDMA 66 conflicts, && MPS 1.4 <> USB conflicts. You would thing with these known problems they would be doing everything possible to get out a new bios. However, just check there page and see how long it has been! Now I know some will say Abit makes beta bios avalible, but I hate constantly upgrading sometimes to discover you are better off with the old version. I don't feel I should have to do that.

As you can tell I am sort of disappointed in Abit. How could they make such an awsome product and then let it fall to crap with driver support. For that reason this will be my last Abit product.

Well that is my rant. Take it or leave it but I needed to say it smile.

Apoptosis

I agree with you, i went through hell and back in my conscience to finally go for this BP6 dual celeron 500 system (i had a PIII-500@550) and i was very disappointed to find that there wasnt that much support for it BIOS wise. :-(

I love the Abit motherboards but this beta bios situation to get win2k working is not my idea of support. Hopefully Abit will release some official BIOS with everything working (you hear, Abit people??) and put this delicate situation behind us.

You think abits bad there sweet compared too diamond and lexmark at least you hear from them and there makeing progres haveing to deal the hpt66 controller thats not theres.

diamond and lexmark still have no driver out for my hardware in windows 2000 and all there web site says is diamond's drivers will be releast as soon as win 200 is realesed well??? lexmark is we dont support that (basicly to bad you should have got a printer from a company that cares)

no beta software or event news report and they just dont return my e-mails joy.

so you see you dont have it that bad with abit they talk to use they fix it if its broke. there giveing use bata's for temp fixes. yes some thing have draged on but the work arounds have been ok.

so chear up life is always the hardest game to play we are still on vertion 1.0 and no patches on the chalk board that we know of!

Bye

Wallaby

Bad spelling late at night some of my best work.

Abit released the bp6 at the crappiest time possible. Right before the release of windows 2000. If you consider the timeframe in which the bp6 was announced, all we had was w98 and nt4. The bp6 works Great with these OS's. Let's not forget Linux. Other than some hpt366 foul-ups, it still was compatible.

True they should have been more prepared for w2k, but then, EVERY HARDWARE MANUFACTURER has had w2k problems. Abit isn't the only one.

Of course if you asked me about this before things such as the QQ bios and the 1.231 hpt drivers, I'd be just as pissed the worst of them...

mr_yellow

PS. The prospect of Dual Coppermines is too tempting for me to ditch the bp6... smile

I agree with mr_yellow on the timeline aspect, we are only thinking about the "now" problems.

As for the dual coppermine issue, do tell us more, we will have coppermine celerons? or i am missing the point? :-) I ask becauyse i am having second thoughts about keeping this bp6/dual 500cel system and moving to be6-2 p3-600 one.

the bp6 is the by far the best motherboard for the price. I mean coem on fellas having a dual 550 system for like 300 bucks 7 months ago is ridiculously cheap, **** u cant do that now, and I did it 7!!! months ago.

Yes with the powerleap converter and a abit bios update we should be able to run coppermines on the bp6.

goto www.friendtech.com

look forthe pl-s370 or the neo-370(samething). it's a pin converter socket ~6mm thick so that you can stick a coppermine in a ppga-s370 socket.

apparently it's very close to release. been tested with bp6's and other s370 boards.

read teh forum. lots of info there..