Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Covenant

W2k - BP6

I've been having problems installing w2k on a new bp6 with 2 cel400's(stock) and a maxtor 40gig 66 hd. I have tried NJ and QQ2 bios versions but with no luck. It wouldn't install with hd hooked to ide66 channel so I switched to 33, the install process went as far as it's first reboot and gets hung at "Verifying DMI Pool" during initial boot-up. Then I switched back to 66 channel and I get the dual boot choice of win98 and continuing with w2k pro setup . . . gets about twenty seconds into install and hangs again.

Anyone had this problem or know how to correct?

Have you hit F6 at the beginning of the installation process (as soon as the blue screen comes up)?

You will need a floppy with HPT driver files for the UDMA66 controller. The disk provided by ABIT in the box has older drivers that are not Win2k friendly.

Go to their website, get the updated drivers and put them on a floppy.

Try installing again from the UDMA66 drive, hitting F6 as mentioned, supplying the drivers at the prompt, and you should be on your way...

I fought with my BP6 for months and finily got it to work.

The solution:

Install a Promise Ultra66.

Have you download the newest ATA66 driver from highpoint-tech.com? I have the exact same setup and here's what i did.

1. Copy drivers into Floppy.

2. Make sure your HD is hook up to ATA33, for now.

3. Clean install W2k, Hit F6 at startup screen will bring you to a menu which you can now select "mass storage device".

4. Insert ATA66 driver floppy and install the HighPoint HPT66 drive, TWICE! (since you have two ATA66 controller on-board)

5. if w2k installation succeed, congrat. now "add hardware" -> Highpoint HPT66 for your two controller, again, but this time in W2K->control panel

6. Reboot and make sure everything's running. (meanwhile your HD still @ IDE33)

7. Shutdown. Plug your HD to ATA66 controller. Reboot.

Should work.

For me every thing works great untill the last step. After I put the HD on the 66 controler Windows will not boot, it just sits there at the last grapical screen. I have tried new drivers but it does not work.

Thats why I recomend the Promise card. It works!!!!!

geoph Iv got 7 harddrives, and for some reason, I get that exact same problem with just 1 of my drives. I cant explain it. its an old 2 gig caviar WD harddrive. NO matter what controller its on ata 66 or ata 33, my win2k wont load if that hardrive is connected to that computer. As soon as I took it out, everything worked flawlessly. my 2 ata 66 WD 7200 rpm drives worked and my ata 33 cdrom drives and harddrives all worked.