Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kanniball

digital Camera

Hi! I'm interested on buy a digital camera (pictures not video), but I'm so confused, so I've decided to ask for help. There are some critical points:

- have linux support

- price under 300€ (or USD)

- the memory suport should be as cheap as possible and not rare

and I think that it's everything... Of course I want the best (or one of the best) camera wich is price is under 300€ (or USD). If you know a european shop (in European Union), with good prices, post the link.

ps: if my english is bad is because it's not my native language

Thanks for those who want to help me!

Hola ,

My advice about digital cameras, and linux.

General Advice,

Choose a camera from traditional camera mfg. e.g. Cannon, Nikon, Olympus.

Compact flash is the cheapest type of memory and has the largest capacity 1 Gb modules are available if you are that way inclined, for most users 64 Mb will do. You can check out prices at this url www.alternate.net.

If you want to read camera reviews I recomend a spanish web page called www.quesabesde.com I'm sure you will understand it.

I personally have Nikon 775. 2.1 Mega pixels 3x Zoom equivalent 115 mm Zoom + (optional telefoto lense x2 in total 230mm) I bought this camera because it is fairly small, like 1 and a half

cigarrete packets and most importantly its scalability optional lenses etc...

it cost about 400 euros .

I can also highly recomend the cannon cameras, picture quality is excellent maybe a little sharper

than Nikon, but they have no optional lenses at least not in the economical range.

Most cameras are supported by linux in some way or other, some using gphoto or directly via the usb port kernels 2.4.0 onwards.

For example with the Nikon 775 you simply connect it via usb port and mount as an external

scsi hard drive.

as root

mkdir /mnt/camera

chmod 666 /mnt/camera

mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/camera

then you can read and write to th camera as if it where an external hard disk you can store what ever you want on it besides fotos. cv favorite song...

For viewing fotos you can use gqview it is similar to asdsee or thumbs . latest version

has exif support (foto information date time etc...)

gqview rocks probably faster than acdsee.

You can also connect the camera to a tv capture card bt878 etc...

and use as a web cam... only better!

You can check out some fotos I have taken at this url www.blueworm.dynu.com

If you have any questions feel free to email me onesixfive@navegalia.com

thx for your help!

I've got the same idea about the bran's...

I'm gonna wait for other replies...