Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Fozz

random shutdowns!

Hi there.

Ok I have a kinda unusual and very annoying problem here....with the PC...

I have my system dual booted with Win98SE and that works fine.

But, at any time when I'm on the desktop in Win2000, the system can just turn itself off and back on.

This has happened with no apparrent pattern.

I can be listening to Winamp, browsing and then it just reboots...or I opened up he Derag program and went to analyse a drive, and it rebooted.

The odd thing is that I can play UT online for ages and it is all fine.

I reseated the drive cables, the RAM, the Processor and the TNT2 card, but it still happens.

The system has a PIII and a Jetway MoBo (VIA chipset).

Any ideas?

I tend to believe the problems are Win2000 related, as Win98 doesn' reboot the system like this.

Any ideas are appreciated here.

Thanks.

Believe it or not, same thing happened to me as well for few days. It only happened with Internet Explorer... smile

I was trying to open a link, it wouldn't do it first time, second or third time i tried, it simply rebooted!! I installed Netscape, which later I deleted, cos it's a RAM hog (literaly), then updated to M$ IE 5.1, and finally downgraded to Win98... smile

So you're basicaly advising me to revert to 98!

I's a good job I have a Dual Boot setup so!

I don't want to give up on 2000 just yet tho...when it works it works well...unfortunately I spend too much time looking at the bootup screens for my own good!

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this?

Cheers all.

Sounds to me like you are getting a bsod. Thats how win2k treats bsod's. It just reboots. It might be a peice of hardware you have? Maybe the sound card? Try disabling the sound card for awhile.

if you have a cd burner reinstall the aspi drivers from adaptec that was my problem. nti cd maker does some weird crap to them when you try to install it

Hi!

I have the same problem and it happens more and more often :-(

I've a TNT-Card, a Celeron333 and the TerratecDMX-SoundCard. I have no problems with Win98 but i want to browse with Win2000.

I have a CD burner but haven't installed Nti CD maker.

Hope someone will help........

CU

FloW

Hey Flow.

I'm thinking that it is somehow related to the TNT2 drivers.

What drivers have you got installed for your TNT2 card?

I have the Creative 3.76 drivers installed.

Actually, just yesterday I couldn't even get into 2000 at all - it was rebooting as soon as I hit the desktop!

Today I disabled ACPI in the BIOS and I am now in Win2000, but that might not be related as, ya know, this whole rebooting thing seems to be random.

I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling my video drivers and see if that helps.

Cya.

Hi FOZZ

I experienced a similar problem before.. wink

My Win2k box just reboot itself without a blue screen when I burn a CD, scan a photo thru USB scanner and browse the net at the same time.

I suspected that the problem was due to ability of Power Supply that couldn't supply enough voltage to the system. Then, I move my HD from UDMA33 to HighPoint UDMA66(I guess my HD and IDE CDR draw the power from same source when both plug in UDMA33) and Up the CPU core voltage to 1.95v.

The problem is solved before I buy an more powerful power supply.

My system:

Win2000 Professional 2195

ABIT BP6

Dual Celery 400 x 2 @504 vCore 1.95

256M Buffulo PC100 CL=2 RAM

ASUS V3400 TNT using lastest W2K driver

Voodoo2

SB Live value

Barebone 1394 adaptor

Segate 27G UDMA66

Panasonic CDR

2 Fozz:

I haben't a TNT2 Card, I have a TNT Elsa Erazor2 (NOT TNT2)Card. I think the drivers a based on 3.76 Detonator drivers from Nvidia.

Does the reinstall help?

2 PATPATNG:

Thanks for your help but the power supply can't be the problem because Win98 runs without problems or takes it more power?

;-)

And i've a strong power supply and only one celi.

Cya

FloW

I'll try new video drivers too......

Hi there guys.

Ok, well, I upgraded to the Detonator 3.78 drivers and I also installed the updated ASPI drivers from the Adaptec website.

Up[censored] the video drivers didn't seem to help and I haven't tested the system a lot since up[censored] the ASPI drivers, but I've been logged on here for an hour messing around and it hasn't reboot yet!

Wahey!

I'll update this pot wth more news as I get it.

May be a while as I'll be drinkin' now till Paddy's day on Friday!

Go on Istabrac!

Fozz,

I've had similar problems especially due to Detonator reference drivers 3.78 and lower, seems to be after I'ved accessed an OpenGl app, ( always happens with OpenGl based screensavers ). If your card is an ASUS, try the new Beta1 3.79 it fixes the allocation bug with AGP.

Adaptec 4.01 causes faux BSOD with any cd dupe.

-------------

PIII 450

128 MB RAM

Asus P299 Mb

Asus V3800M64 TNT2

Memorex CR-622 CDR

2 Fozz:

Which aspi drivers do you use?

I've the adaptec aspi 4.60(1021)

date: 09/10/99

drivers.

But this drivers change nothing, there are still random shutdowns!

Cu friday or saturday ;-)

fozz,

Try turning the auto reboot feature off in "Control Panel->System->Advanced->Startup and Recovery" (uncheck the option "automatically reboot"). The next time the error occurs you'll see a screen (aka BSOD) with some, hopefully, useful information. Post the STOP code in the forum if you need more help.

/fdahl

I have the same problem sometimes, while running IE5 or Frontpage 2000. THe screen will just blank out out of nowhere. I still haven't figured out why but adjusting the core voltage made sense, so I'm gonna try that. I have a G400Max so i think the drivers're pretty good.

fdahl:

Ok, good idea!

I disabled the auto reboot as you suggested and now when it crashes I'm getting BSOD's, as expected.

I've gotten three so far:

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

MODE_EXCEPION_NOT_HANDLED

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Well, not sure what is causing these but I'm open to any ideas.

Thanks a lot guys, oh, and happy St. Patricks Day!

[This message has been edited by Fozz (edited 17 March 2000).]

Alright guys. I have narrowed the problem down to just three possibilities.

1. I have this problem only when I hyperclocked my processor.

2. When I burn my CD (solved when I update my ASPI layer to the latest version)

3. When I get a lockup and manually end task on some program (particularly Quake3).

My solution:-

1. I don't hyperclock my processor but overclock to some stable speed instead. It is better to sacrify a few Mhz than to get an unstable system.

2. As said, get the latest ASPI for my CDR. Sometimes it reboot when I don't burn CDR at all. It restart when I click My computer.. Problem solved when update ASPI.

3. Can't do anything yet. I think it is my Nvidia Reference driver 3.78 which is not mature enough for my SMP system.

My problem has existed in these places.

Just now playing quake 3

once in internet explorer

and just after playing some games.

some times when i restart the cmoputer just beeps and beeps and beeps. i think that the comptuers mobo detected that it was to hot and shut down and didnt work till it cooled a couple degrees.

when i start back up, it says that it is around 110f on the processor

could this be the problem? or should i jsut disable auto restart and see if it is bsod, copy that error, and ask people what it is?

------------------

Amd k7 500 w/ 3dnow and mmx. :: 192 mb sd100 ram.

Biostar m7mka mobo. :: 32x toshieba cd rom. :: 2x write 4x read phillips cdr w/ adaptec scsi. :: Winfast nvidia geforce 256 ddr 32mb w/ tv out. :: Diamond monster mx 300 Sound. :: Standard Floppy. :: 5 speakers including a subwoofer. :: Us robotics external 56k modem x2 v.90. :: Intellimouse explorer. ::

Standard gateway keyboard. :: 17 inch gateway ev700 monitor. :: Epson stylus color 600 printer. :: Info scaner. :: D-link 10/100 mbit ethernet lan card. dfe-530tx+ w/ wol. :: Windows 2000 Professional.

Hey i get the same ****ty bluescreen error.

the following shows up in event log.

it seems totally random...sometimes im not even doing anything!!!

Event Type: Information

Event Source: Save Dump

Event Category: None

Event ID: 1001

Date: 3/18/2000

Time: 10:16:56 PM

User: N/A

Computer: CR183050-A

Description:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000001e (0xc0000005, 0xed238e43, 0x00000000, 0x000001ae). Microsoft Windows 2000 [v15.2195]. A dump was saved in: C:\WINNT\Minidump\Mini031800-03.dmp.

The microsoft knowledge base is not really helpful, this is the link to their "help" on the problem

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q195/8/57.ASP?LNG=ENG&SA=ALLKB&FR=0

I am running windows v.5 (2195)

i have winpoxy 3.0, and zone alarm and maxmem running in background.

anybody have any ideas what the hell this is?

--

amd 750

asus k7m m/b

asus v6800 (8.1 drivers)

sb live value (livewire beta)

20 gig maxtor ata 66 7200 rpm

intel 10/100 ethernet

realtek 10base ethernet

56k aopen modem

48X sony.

300 W power supply.

Mello...I get the same errors in the Event Log.

I've disabled the Automatic Shutdown "feature" of Win2000 so that now I actually get to a BSOD and I can see what the error is.

I mainly get PFN_LIST_CORRUPT and I cannot find anything on this, or what may be causing it....but I can get it at any time, even when I'm not doing anything.

I also get a lot of other errors - you know, when it says that an "Error is being created" and IE5 will just close down.

Could it be related to the fact that I have the system Dual-Booted with 98 on the same partition?

I don't know but I may just dump 2000 and install it all again from scratch.

I gotta update my NVIDIA drivers to the 3.81 and install the EZ CD Creator update from Adaptec and see what effect they have.

I'll keep y'all posted.

G'luck.

hi too all!

i've found the same topic at an other board and they have the same problems, allways when they started internet explorer -> reboots. Someone posted that this problem is caused of a IE bitkey and micro$ has an update for this problem....

this update data is: tcpippix

but i have this only as data on my computer (a board member mailed me this file) and i don't know where to get it.....

:-(

now i'll test it and post my experiences....

cu

FloW

mail it to seldzar and he can put it up on his site.

------------------

The information contained in this post has no nutritional value. I remove myself from all responsibility of the consequences should you print this post and consume it without taking the proper precautions.

Warning: This text best viewed with surround sound.

Flow...what's the story?

What's this patch you are talkin' about?

Anyhow, since I disabled the Auto Shutdown I'm gettng BSOD errors, as I said earlier in this post...

Ah well...lets hope we get to the end of this soon.

....after I patched my IE there were no reboots anymore, but I don't know if this is because of the patch or the new Nvidia 3.81 drivers.....

anyway, there are no reboots....

if someone want this patch: post your e-mail-address.

cu

FloW

please send me the patch thank!!!

k4lam@home.com