Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bfausti

Compaq Presario display problem

Dear All,

I have recently purchased a Compaq Presario 1500AP and tried installing SUSE Linux 8.0 and Mandrake Linux 9.0 and I get the same problem with both.

Installation goes fine, but as soon as I login after installation all my fonts are jaggered and interlaced 8) , I have tried using different settings when configuring the monitor and video card but to no evil.

Is there an issue with this video card? I have seen many post's on the Internet about this problem but not really any solid answers. Could anyone please reply to me about this as it has been very frustrating :x

Compaq Presario 1500AP(470036-808) specifications and warranty

Now if it is there are some specific problems with the ATI Mobility chipset in the thing. I have a good idea as to how you can fix it...

Download, compile and install an updated version of XFree86. 4.3.0 was just released on Feb 27th, it has direct support for the Video Card. But v4.2.1 also works but un-accelerated.

Part of the reason for this, is that MOST manufacturers don't have a clue as how to release drivers for Linux. Linux Developers cannot get source to develope them for linux... mainly due to Non-Disclosure Agreements... ATI is just one of those companies.

Get the Newer Version of SuSE, I believe it works, as Well as the Release Candidate for Mandrake 9.1. You might also try Debian Woody, but also use KNOPPIX v3.1 (2003-01-20) it has SuperKeen Hardware Detection... So you may get the needed settings from it.

I know, you say WHY should I use Linux when it just works in Windows... If you continue to Use Windows and don't DEMAND support for the OS of your choice... you are part of the problem...

BTW, I am not attacking you... I am just attacking the SAYING.... sorry it was you that got the Word... Just alot of people read these and need to understand, manufacturers will only DO what need to to SELL product... If that MEANS supporting ONLY Windows... That's what they'll do. If they lose market share due to NON-SUPPORT of the "Better, but less prevalent OS" then they will notice it... and change.

Thank you for your reply.

You are right it is a laptop and support for Linux drivers are less then acceptable.

Have you come across this problem before? Now you say XFree86 v4.2.1 will work without 3D support, how is this accomplised? I really don't want to use my Linux setup for games so I don't need 3D support for my laptop.

Regards,

Ben

Greetings ,

SuSE 8.1 pro , Compaq/HP presario 2800

a)Login as root

b)Switch to init 3

c)vim /etc/X11/XF86Config

d)Add the line : Option "CrtScreen" within the Screen section

e)ESC+wq!

f)Switch to init 5

g)Logout/Login as user -------> startx

Farewell

Dear Ghostsong,

I'm abit of a beginner when it comes to Linux. Don't know what you mean by 'switch to init 3' or 'ESC+wq'. Could you explain what I need to do in plain english!

Quote:
Greetings ,

SuSE 8.1 pro , Compaq/HP presario 2800

a)Login as root

b)Switch to init 3

c)vim /etc/X11/XF86Config

d)Add the line : Option "CrtScreen" within the Screen section

e)ESC+wq!

f)Switch to init 5

g)Logout/Login as user -------> startx

Farewell

Greetings ,

a) su root

B) init 3

c) press CTRL+C to get prompt when the init has been reached

d) vim /etc/X11/XF86Config ( vim = editor , you can use pico , vi as well )

e) add the following line within the screen section : Option "CrtScreen"

f) Press Escape and write wq! to save the changes and exit the same time ( ESC and then wq! is vim's option to save n' exit )

g) init 5 ( and you should go directly to your X otherwise , press CTRL+C and write : startx

Farewell

Greetings ,

Up[censored] to the newer version of xfree will solve that also , so you can either make the steps i've told you before *** either you get the newer version of XFree ,

***** I was just testing that stuff lately and that's why i know for sure

Take your pick... *****

I leave it to you

For SuSE 8.1 pro/per :

ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/ftp.sus...3.0-SuSE/suse81

Or http://www.xfree86.org ( and get into trouble :P )

*** init 3 | When 3 reached ---> CTRL-C | vim ( or any other editor ) /etc/X11/XF86Config|

add the line ---> Option "CrtScreen" within your display section | ESC+wq! to save n' exit

(vim) | switch to init 5 ( you get your login screen within X ) otherwise , CTRL-C and

startX. ( Within your X session _--> open konsole and : mk_initrd and reboot )

You may need to exec SuseConfig as well.That' depends on you , what you want to do

exactly , Good Luck

Farewell