Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DarkOne

UDMA66 and a wd13 gig

I have a bp6 and 2 ultra dma 66 drives, a wd 13 gig and a maxtor 27. When I put the 27gig on the 66 controller everything works fine, win2k and 98 will boot. If I then put the 13 on 98 will boot but 2k will not, it gets about half way done on the loading screen and just dies. This happens when both drives are plugged in, or when just the 13 gig is plugged in.

Background, the 13 gig reports its a dma66 drive on boot, and in the wd diag program. I am running the latest bios for the bp and for the udma66 controller. I figured that might be the problem so I upgraded my older bios. All the appropriate drivers are loaded and my 27gig works fine in 2k. The 13 works perfectly on the dma33 controller. One of my friends has the same drive, and the BE6 and he has the same problem. I am going to call Western Digital this afternoon, I just wanted to see if anyone has had this problem and knows if it can be fixed or if its just something I have to deal with.

The key is that it works fine on the UDMA/33 controller.

If the drive was partitioned and formatted on the 33 controller, you can't move it to the 66 without setting it back up; there will be issues reading the drive and communicating with it, and this will cause the problem.

If you set up the 13 gig from scratch on the 66 controller the problem will go away. Make sure you have the newest update for the HPT too, just to be sure.

------------------

I have tried that. No go, Ihave reloaded win2k on it no go. And btw, my 27 works just fine on the 66 with out reformating (it was formated on the 33)

I'm having the very same problem. I'm MCSE, and I can tell you that there is no problem formatting on the UDMA 33 or 66 controller. That's ludicrous, UDMA 66 is fully backwards compatible with UDMA 33. With that said, I have an ABit BE6 with a Western Digital Expert/66 13.6GB Drive. I've installed the newest Win2K Highpoint 366 drivers for the 66 controllers on the board, but no go. No flags on the controllers in Win2K after installing the new drivers, it just simply doesn't work. My hard drive light does a little dance, and the machine does nothing. If I put the drive on the UDMA 33 controller, works fine. This must be a compatibility issue with the 13.6GB WD, BE6 and Win2K. I have noticed that there is a new flash for the BIOS on the Mobo. I'm going to try that tonight to see if that fixes the glich. I'll keep y'all posted.

Yeah, I knew that a format wouldnt help, but it was worht a shot, and i dont have a BE6, rather a BP6. I think it must be a problem with abit boards and the wd13

just for kicks have you tried disabling and renabling ultra66 support on the drive? (full power off reboot etc) i had a hell of a time getting a WD 20.4 to work right on promise ultra66 controller took about 3 tries before it worked right, finally had to put it as a single only drive on the controller and do it that way no problems since then with 2 maxtors and the WD!

Yeah I have tried taht to no avail. I am guessing its just a problem with the controler and the 13gig.