Compatible Support Forums
WetFox

Dialup 718 Error

Hello. I'm having a problem with our dialup connection. Previously, we had a Win2k server and this particular WinXP SP2 client machine is working smoothly on its dialup via a telephone line. This was joined to the Win2K domain server before.

We have now a Win2003 server and all client computers (including the machine that has dialup problem)were joined to this new Win2003 server. After joining the domain, this machine could not anymore connect to the ISP via dialup. The previous working setting was not touched (password, username, dialup no., etc.) and it's still the same setting as the previous one.

What could be the possible solution for this? This is a machine where my company depends on its external email. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Windows Server 2003 is quite different from Windows 2000. In fact, you'll notice that it is more like Windows XP SP2. With that in mind, you should take a look at the firewall setting on the 2003 machine, as this could be preventing some communication issues within the domain.

Also, what is the function on this 2003 server? I assume that it is obviously the DC, correct? Is it also the proxy?

Our server is a DC and it's not a proxy. We dont have a GP set aside from the default.

I also tried setting the Firewall On and Off but the error remains. After "Verifying user name and password..." on the dial up box, it disconnects. Our password is Saved and has not been changed as well as the username. I used ProfileWizard to handle the migration from 2000 to 2003 automatically. I created a new DUP connection with the exact setting as before but all failed.