Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
balz

SAMBA

ok..apologies for that last question.

I have a SAMBA Server up and running. I am using RH 8.0. I did use SWAT to configure all the options. I have added Samba Users with the user names from my W2K Professional box. When I browse the My Network Places I can see the Samba Server but everytime I click on it I get a error - \\Server is not accessible. The network path is not found. In Swat I did set up Shares to /home/%username%...

Anyone have any ideas as to where I messed up the configuration?

Cheers again

B

If you want me to post my smb.conf file I can do that.

Here is my smb.conf

Code:
[root@paladin samba]# cat smb.conf# Samba config file created using SWAT# from duke.nunya.net (192.168.1.4)# Date: 2002/12/21 23:11:11# Global parameters[global]        workgroup = NUNYA        netbios name = PALADIN        server string = paladin        encrypt passwords = Yes        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u        passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*        unix password sync = Yes        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log        max log size = 0        name resolve order = host wins lmhosts bcast        time server = Yes        deadtime = 15        socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192        os level = 83        preferred master = True        dns proxy = No        wins support = Yes        printing = lprng[homes]        comment = Home Directories        valid users = %S        read only = No        create mask = 0664        directory mask = 0775[printers]        comment = All Printers        path = /var/spool/samba        printable = Yes        browseable = Yes[public]        comment = Read-Only Files        path = /usr/local/public/ftp/pub/        guest ok = Yes[grp]        comment = Group File Sharing        path = /usr/local/public/grp        read only = No[app]        comment = Applications Volume        path = /usr/local/public/app        read only = No[dev]        comment = Applications Volume        path = /usr/local/public/dev        read only = No[root@paladin samba]#

This is an extremely FAST, EXTREMELY HUGE machine, only has ~2TB of Drive space in it... only about 3GB of RAM. I use an LDAP server to do global auth, I use SAMBA(CIFS) sharing, FTP sharing, NFS sharing, WebDAV sharing, among other things. All of my printers are Networked printers, hooked up via either using SMB printing or LPRng.

Hopefully you can see where your problems exists. As this one is working flawlessly. Also, have all of your Windows machines add your SAMBA server as a WINS server(under advanced properties of TCP/IP in W2K and XPP. Under WINS in 95/98/ME)... You should be able to see thing poroperly.

BTW, I am using a combo of Win98/WinME/WinNT4/Win2K/WinXPP on all of my workstations. We have yet to see a need to force Windows Xtra Pain on EVERYONE yet.

Thanks for your reply. I still can't get it working so I posted my smb.conf file. I now think the problem maybe somewhere else. Let me explain the setup I have a little better. I have my RH8 box with 2 interfaces. my external internet access which is DHCP. The second Interface is 10.0.0.1 and connects to a hub which then goes to the Windows Pro box with a IP of 10.0.0.2. Both boxes are pinging and working fine. I set up RH as a router. Like I said I can see the Samba server when I browse My Network Places but get that error. I did add samba users, the services are of course started, looks like the version is 2.2.5. I have been over the smb.conf file and other docs and I have no clue. Please help

Thanks again.

# Samba config file created using SWAT

# from UNKNOWN (127.0.0.1)

# Date: 2003/03/02 13:43:56

# Global parameters

[global]

workgroup = DANVAN

netbios name = RUSTHALL

server string = Samba Server

interfaces = eth*

encrypt passwords = Yes

obey pam restrictions = Yes

pam password change = Yes

passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u

passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*

unix password sync = Yes

log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log

max log size = 0

socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192

dns proxy = No

wins support = Yes

printing = lprng

[homes]

comment = Home Directories

path = %u

valid users = %s

read only = No

create mask = 0664

directory mask = 0775

browseable = No

[printers]

comment = All Printers

path = /var/spool/samba

printable = Yes

browseable = No

Make sure you have IPTABLES setup properly...

Then change

interfaces = eth*

to

interfaces = eth1 (or your private side interface)

It is probably the IPTABLES block those ports...

IPTABLES can be sticky that way. Take a lookey at THIS IPTABLES SCRIPT

It should help you out quite a bit. Edit to fit your environment. The Private interface is trusted so SAMBA should work just fine. On the Private interface.

Thanks. We are now moving into areas I am not comfortable with. I kinda understand the script you posted but to be honest it would be mostly guess work. So after all that I guess I will have to live without Networking until I understand IPtables more and what to do. I appreciate your time very much and now I know where the trouble is. Wish me luck.

Again many thanks...

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. I still can't get it working so I posted my smb.conf file. I now think the problem maybe somewhere else. Let me explain the setup I have a little better. I have my RH8 box with 2 interfaces. my external internet access which is DHCP. The second Interface is 10.0.0.1 and connects to a hub which then goes to the Windows Pro box with a IP of 10.0.0.2. Both boxes are pinging and working fine. I set up RH as a router. Like I said I can see the Samba server when I browse My Network Places but get that error. I did add samba users, the services are of course started, looks like the version is 2.2.5. I have been over the smb.conf file and other docs and I have no clue. Please help

Thanks again.

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from UNKNOWN (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2003/03/02 13:43:56

# Global parameters
[global]
workgroup = DANVAN
netbios name = RUSTHALL
server string = Samba Server
interfaces = eth*
encrypt passwords = Yes
obey pam restrictions = Yes
pam password change = Yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
unix password sync = Yes
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
max log size = 0
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
dns proxy = No
wins support = Yes
printing = lprng

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
path = %u
valid users = %s
read only = No
create mask = 0664
directory mask = 0775
browseable = No

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
printable = Yes
browseable = No

why don't you just hand edit your smb.conf file. by the way, is there any particular directory you want to share?

a simple file sharing:

first, comment out encrypt passwords directive then create your share directory like this:

[myshare]
comment = my samba share
path = /the_path/to_your_shared/_directory
writable = Yes
create mask = 0664
directory mask = 0775
browseable = Yes
public = Yes

then in windows explorer access the \\computer name\myshare

Ok I got a possible solution. I'm running fedora core 3 and I was having the same problem w/network path not being found tring to access the samba server from my Windoz Xtra Pain box. I completely disabled iptables but was still having the problem. I guess you need to make sure that the 'winbind' process as well as the smb process are running. After I started that process up I was able to access the samba share.

good luck all

`a~!