Compatible Support Forums
A_Rowan

Magic The Gathering on Vista

I have the original Magic The Gathering, MTG: Spells of the Ancients and MTG: Duels of the Planeswalkers discs. I recently got a new computer with Vista and I cannot get Magic to install on it. I get the message that I need Win95 to install. Does anyone know if there is a workaround or a patch or something else I can do to install the game?

The workaround (provided that you have an old Windows disc) is to install Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 (freeware). You can find it here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/detai...;displaylang=en

Once installed, run the virtual machine and install an older version of Windows. Use the VM to run legacy applications; you'll probably find that this will be helpful for a lot of different things.

Hey guys, I read this old thread:

http://ntcompatible.com/thread26239-6.html

And following the instructions at DivineNTD's site and using the Microsoft App Compatibility ToolKit 5.0 didn't seem to help my WinXP installation of of the game. It installs fine but then the game still crashes when I'm in the Deck editor as soon as I mouseover any card at the bottom so that it would appear in the card display part of the screen.

The ONLY thing so far that works is to go into the Properties menu of the .exes (Deck, Shandalar, etc) and under the Compatibility tab, check the box for force to 640x480.

Now the problem there is it's so TINY and rather hard on the eyes on my 20" widescreen display.

I WISH I could get it running at 1024x but there's no 'force 800x or 1024x button under the Compatibility tab. frown

Nothing related to the Screen Resolution tips on NTD's site seemed to help. I tried editing the MagicGatheringFix.rar file in the App Compat Toolkit to change it from 800,600,32 to 1024,768,32 but neither setting works anyway.

Kinda disappointed. I mean I'm glad to get it working at all but I'd really like to get it running at 1024x so it's at least tolerable for more than a couple minutes of eyes-straining 640x. Any ideas?

What i did to get it running was set all the exe's to run in compatibility for Win2000, but Shandalar had to be set to NT4 to show full screen and not crash. Haven't had any problems with the Deck Editor crashing, sorry i can't help you on that one. Everything shows fine on my 20' widescreen, even though its still in 640x480. Had to run through my processes killing them until i found the one that was causing the cards not to show up. Ended up being my Wacom Tablet driver.

Wish i had found this site before now, had to figure all this out in my own LOL

Now if i could only figure out how to get the SouthPark FPS to work that came out forever ago!