Compatible Support Forums
bertemery

Monitor

Hello, My monitor has a number of Little vertical colors about a Cm long and quite a few very small green dots on it. It's not a major problem at the moment, but I am afraid they might worse, any ideas?

OK, so what type of monitor ?!?

The older CRT/Picture Tube style or the newer LCD Flat-Panel type ?!?

Also, have you tried power-cycling the monitor to see if the issue stays ?!?

And finally, have you checked the connections, the video cable going from the monitor to the video card ?!?

Oh, if you have another monitor to test with to verify if it's the monitor or the video card inside your computer, that would be handy too.

You need to narrow down this issue to either the monitor or the computer.

I've seen both monitors starting to fail that can produce anomolies on the screen and I've seen video cards failing that can do the same thing.

It's a LCD flat panel monitor. I have tried it on another computer and the results are the same so I must assume the fault is the monitor.

Originally Posted By: bertieboy
It's a LCD flat panel monitor. I have tried it on another computer and the results are the same so I must assume the fault is the monitor.

That was my next suggestion, when you can see the same issues on the monitor when it's connected to another machine, that does indeed indicate a monitor issue, check with the manufacturer for any warranty repair/servicing.

As for the defrag question, could be that some files didn't need to be defragged or they were system files in use at the time.

Your defrag problem can easily be sorted out by running it while your computer is running in 'Safe Mode'. Or much better than that, download a trial copy of "Raxco Perfect Disk" from; http://www.raxco.com/

As more your monitor, if it is out of warranty you'd probably be better to forget it and buy a new one. The newer L.C.D.s are getting a lot better image quality and quite a bit cheaper now.

I tried to defrag in safe mode but the results were the same. I downloaded Raxco Perfect Disc but was affraid to use it.

Why are you afraid to use Raxco Perfect Disk, I have been using it for 5 years on all 3 of my PCs with no problems whatsoever. I have tried Diskeeper, which is what the included defragger with windows is based on, but have not found it anywhere near as good as Perfect Disk. Give it a try.

Sorry I have been so long. I did manage to download and use Raxco, you were right,it is good, it did what XP defrag couldn't, now when I open XP defrag and click Analyse, it tells me that this volume does not need defraging, but I don't need XP now, thanks again, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah Perfect Disk is the best of all the dafrag tools that I have tried.

And the best of the season to you.