Compatible Support Forums
campione44

copying directory structure from XP to VISTA?

Like many other unfortunates, we got a new vista machine when our old pc hard drive crashed. I am now trying to restore my lost files from a maxtor one touch III drive. This has been many months of pain. I'm almost there.

present problem: I am now able to restore from the maxtor to a directory on XP. I am also able to move a FILE from XP to vista leveraging the XP shared file, which I can see via the network on VISTA. Unfortunately, should I want to move a directory structure (which of course given the gigabytes on the backup, I do), it won't let me. It creates the top of the directory tree in read only mode and refuses to populate files under the top of the tree (giving a you don't have permission error). Despite the obvious approach of changing the directory to be readable (unclick the read only bit in attributes), which it appears to do happily, the change never sticks. If one reopens the attribute window, frustratingly, the read only bit is reset!

Does anyone have any idea what I do on either the VISTA or the XP machine such that I can copy a directory structure out of the XP shared drive into my normal VISTA filestructure?

Thank you in advance for your help...highly frustrated captive of MSFT.

We got it to work. Couple of keys:

(1) Vista requires usernames and passwords. You must have the same user name and the same password on both machines (XP and Vista in my case).

(2) This username needs to be the owner of the shared files

I think this solved my problem. However some other useful items I culled from tomes of reading:

(a) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913628 - this tells you how to regedit the restrictanonymous bit...it needs to be 0 else sharing can be blocked.

(B) firewalls can screw things up. disconnect the internet (keep your lan running though) and then disable all firewalls (norton, mcaffee, windows). Suddenly, you'll be able to see your MSHOME workgroup local network machines. once you get everything to work, you can re enable firewalls, and connectivity is still there just less "transparently" (i.e. it works but you can no longer see things where you used to see them).

© VISTA and XP have different default workgroups. You need to change one or the other so that they see each other.

(d) finally googling the actual text of the error message often yields good hints.

cheers