Compatible Support Forums
Elijah5

Windows XP Compat. Issues for older Games

I am having compatibility issues for older games. The 1st one is NHL 2000. I DID read your previous post where someone else had a problem, however, my problem did not seem similar. NHL 2000 installs fine, but when I try to run it in Windows 95 Compat. mode, I get a Windows Error when I try to play the game pointing to the NHL2K.ICD file. Please help.

Also, I would desire deeply to be able to play my Tex Murphy games but I don't know if that's possible in Win XP Pro. Does anyone know?

Whenever you receive an .ICD error in Windows it usually points to a copy protection problem. So for NHL 2000 you'll probably need a NOCD patch or you can try to figure out why the copy protection doesn't work. I have better things to do with my time and I don't like helping copy protection makers make their copy protection better so I just use a NOCD on those games.

The Tex Murphy games work in XP but you may have to do different things for each game. Which game specifically?

For those of us (like me) that don't know what a NOCD Patch is, can you explain? I mean, I have the original NHL 2000 disk - bought it at Future Shop. So, run this program and it removes the problem? Can you post a link for that? Thanks.

As for Tex Murphy, I found out DOSBOX will help me with Under a Killing Moon, and the other one is Pandora Detective that I'm interested in finding out about. If I run it in Compatibility mode (Pandora Detective) for Win 95, should that work? (I.E. Running all the .exe files in compat. for Win. 95 mode on Win XP Pro)?

Alot of games for the past few years have come with copy protection that installs drivers on your computer. In alot of cases this copy protection is incompatible with software/OS/hardware in your computer. The only fixes are to remove the offending software, find the Windows update which interfers or upgrade your OS/upgrade the firmware on your hardware or upgrade your hardware (pretty much just CD/DVD drive).....or you can contact the makers of the copy protection and have them troubleshoot the problem....if they card....or you can use a NOCD patch which will either remove the copy protection from the game or you just download the game executable from a website which already has the copy protection remove.

I can't post a link here but search google for gamecopyworld.

I don't have Pandora Detective so I'd have ask around but go ahead and try it doesn't hurt to use compatibility mode.

2DosFreak

Hi!

I'm from Russia, and i'm nhl 2000's fan

I installed game successfully

copied and pasted nocd, but then i tried to load game (clicked nocd) i saw error mesage:

"The instruction 0x006553be referenced memory at 0x00000001 . The memory could not be read "

i have Windows XP.

then i had nhl'99 it was o.k.

i played so much.

I see you're Expert at this area, may be you

know how to solve this problem.

I'd be greatful you so much !

Sorry for my terrible English :)))