Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
krazy_in_ky

Help Please

I just bought a x850xt graphics card for my pc. Guess what it doesn't fit. I have the pci-e slot but it is on the top of my card slots and the card i have needs two slots. My dh wants to get a new motherboard to put in our pc but I don't think I would be comfortable replacing a whole board. I have a Gateway 702GE. How do I find out what cards are compatible with my current board? The gateway website is a joke. Also would it be possible to switch out motherboards so it would be compatible? Sorry for all the questions but I am a novice computer geek LOL

Hi krazy!

I'm a Novice too and I'm here getting a Q+A, but I think I can help. I can see a couple of choices:

1. If you want to keep the computer you have now, get a single-bay height card that supports DX9.0C and either keep, or better sell, the x850xt(ATI?). You should be able to change a graphics card in a Gayeway: It is worth remembering that there are no DX10 games or applications on the market yet, so don't buy a DX10 card!!

2. Sell the Gateway (0r better still, give it to a family member as I don't think they are worth much 2nd hand), as it will very likely be difficult to replace the motherboard unless perhaps you give it back to them to do? I would not recommend that you decide to do this. I would recommend finding a friend to help you put together the bits for a new computer, and then build it together!

If you chose 2, you will get a much more powerful computer for your money, you won't have to also take a lot of package deal bits that you don't want, and you'll have a heart-stopping experience doing the build PLUS you'll learn a lot about the computer which will then be yours, and not Gateways!

Get stuck in there mate. There will always be people like myself around to help you out! Let me know what you decide.

Hope this helps. All the best! :-)

OK I just got a new mobo now my stupid case won't fit it but yet the only requirements the mobo listed was an atx case which I have argggggggg