Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
vipejc

Please Help!

I am attempting to play NHL Open Ice 2 on 2 Challenge via DOSBox. The game is Windows 95 compatible. Are PC games designed for Windows 95 compatible with DOSBox?

When I input the command to run said game, I encounter the error:

This program cannot run in DOS mode.

Did I do something wrong, or is said game incompatible with DOSBox?

Is Virtual Box an OS emulation program, or do you need to own a licensed copy of the desired OS to run it; e.g., Windows 95?

Do freeware Windows 95/97 emulators exist? If so, where can I download them?

Your assistance is much appreciated.

It sounds like the game needs to run from Windows NOT DOS, so it is incompatible with DOS Box.

Normally, on later versions of windows (NT, 2000, XP etc) you can create a shortcut to the game exe file, click on Properties and click on the Compatibility tab and select an older version of Windows to 'emulate' it while running that program.

Compatibility Wizard does not solve the problem, either. The game plays perfect until the end of the 1st period. That's when I get a black screen with an accompanying Microsoft Error Report. If I were to copy-and-paste the full Microsoft Error Report, would that be of help?

Get hold of Virtual PC from Microsoft's web site, then get hold of Windows 95 or 98 or even Me. Install that on a virtual HD and then install the game on that. Then it should run better....

http://www.microsoft.com/virtualpc/

Good solution, Peter. And ironically, I planned on it as my last alternative.

If I were to copy-and-paste the Microsoft Error Report here, would somebody be able to decipher it to pinpoint the problem and find a possible solution?

Unfortunately, copy-and-paste is disabled and thus I cannot share the Microsoft Error Report.

Something tells me that I encounter this error because Windows XP is missing a certain piece of code or file which Windows 95 has. And that's what is causing the error. But because I cannot copy-and-paste the Microsoft Error Report, we'll never know.

It seems that downloading Microsoft's Virtual PC 2007 is my only solution. Do I need to own a copy of the desired Operating System to use it? Or is every obsolete Windows Operating System built into the software? Also, in case you didn't know, Virtual PC 2007 is not compatible for Windows XP Home Edition. But does that mean it won't work? Or just that Microsoft hasn't tested it using XP Home Edition?

Erick

When you get an OS error message/dialog box, it's best to press the CTRL + PrtScn key to copy the screenie into the Clipboard, then open Paint/MSpaint and paste that screenie into a new document.

Be sure to save as a JPG format as the default is BMP for Paint wink

Then you can edit the screenie to show only the error/dialog box and nothing else.

You can usually click on the dialog box and do a CTRL+C, that works in alot of cases.

Negative, Jmmijo and DosFreak. It won't allow me to copy the Microsoft Error Report.

I was only able to copy this:

C:\DOCUME~1\ERICKC~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\b861_appcompat.txt

Is there a way to open this file up so we can review the technical information?

Virtual PC 2007 does not come with any OS, I'm afraid, you have to supply that yourself. You will need full editions not upgrade CDs or Restore CDs.

Its pretty good, I have installed DR DOS, MS DOS, FreeDOS, Windows 3, WFW 3.11, Windows 98, Windows NT 4, Windows 2003 with VPC!!

I have used VPC 2007 on XP Pro (not tried XP Home) and Vista Home Premium (even though it says its not compatible).