Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Quantus

Just face it.....

Microsoft yet again failed to bridge the gap between Windows and NT. Win2k is just another NT....great for businesses and some individuals. Drivers for gamers suck or just don't exist, 50% of applications just don't run or have major problems (try and find an AV application for win2k!). And what is the incentive for a company to port apps from Win9X to Win2k when Windows 98 is still alive and well (aka Windows ME).

Microsoft screwed up yet again...SURPRISE, NOT!

-Q

Ya know this post is not even worth the time to respond too.................DOH! I'm already doing it. I'll just let everyone else destroy your arguments. As for me, all my apps and games work fine, I wonder what your doing wrong?

------------------

§E£DZÅR

http://www.win2knews.com

I completely disagree, Microsoft has come through this time with a pretty good Operating system. Sure the driver and app support can be bad at times but its still less than a month after the release. Give it time as I remember it took a little while for companies to jump on the 98 bandwagon. As for the merging of NT and 98, win2k was not intended to be that. It was intended to be an upgrade to NT not 98. Windows ME will do that later this year(?). Microsoft is planning a project that will finaly bring winnt(2k) together with 9x but that is a ways off yet.

I am not even going to bother responding to that statement. I will say one thing though. Ever hear of a prog called Norton Antivirus 2000? It's made by a small company called Symantec. wink

Hmm, here's the software I'm using with Win2000 (And, no, I don't have Win98 on my HD anymore!):

Programs:

==========

4NT

Acrobat Reader

AQ2 Server Launcher

AudioGrabber

CD Speed Tools

CDR-Win

Common Files

CuteFTP

Delphi 4

DeskColor

Easy CD Creator

GhostView

Hex Workshop

Internet Explorer

LameEnc

Magic Packet

Maple

MatheAss

MathType

MButton

MI

Microangelo 98

Microsoft FrontPage

Microsoft Office

Microsoft Visual Studio

mIRC

NetChat

NetMeeting

O&O Defrag

O&O Defrag MFT

Outlook Express

Paint Shop Pro

PGP DS 6.5.2

PowerStrip

PrintFile

RegClean

Registry Search

SecureCRT

SFB

Terminal Services Client

Tools

Utils

VC

VisualRoute

Win2k Support Tools

WinAmp

Windows Media Player

Windows NT

WindowsUpdate

WinImage

WinOnCD

WinRAR

WinZip

Games:

=======

Aliens vs Predator

Descent II

Doom I

Doom II

Dungeon Keeper

GLDoom

Half-Life

Kingpin

Mech Warrior III

Quake I

Quake II

Quake III Arena

Red Alert

Starcraft

Starfleet Command

System Shock II

Tiberian Sun

All of these run fine under Win2000. Some of them needed a patch or some other form of tweaking to get them running, but ALL OF THEM RUN FINE!

"Win2k is just another NT...." - Of course! And that's the main reason I don't use Win9x anymore!

"Drivers for gamers suck or just don't exist" - I admit that much non-mainstream hardware is not yet supported very well, but that's not MS's fault. And, wait two months and you'll see that most manufacturers will offer Win2k drivers for their products. If a manufacturer does NOT offer Win2k drivers for their older products, well, that's bad luck for you, maybe next time you buy from a better manufacturer. More expensive hardware almost always is supported longer than just as long as the current MS OS is alive, cheaper hardware very often isn't.... that's life!

"Microsoft screwed up yet again..." - If you want to see it like this, well then do it, but I (and I bet most others on this forum do as well) think you're wrong.

Buying hardware being a bit more expensive from well-known manufacturers just pays off some day. Same goes for software.

nova.

Do people post these stupid as hell comments just to get replies to them? Quantus - Why don't you go somewhere will someone will appreciate your constant whining. If you don't like it then don't use it....Okay people...you know how we told newbies to use the SEARCH feature? Well the same applies here. Just search for people that cry and b1tch as much as you and then you guys can go install Windows for Workgroups and play Doom, and together all of you cry-babies can b1tch and moan about windows 2000 sucking as much as your little hearts would like.

Have a Nice Day. smile

Windows 2000 is good.

------------------

Amd k7 500 w/ 3dnow and mmx. :: 192 mb sd100 ram.

Biostar m7mka mobo. :: 32x toshieba cd rom. :: 2x write 4x read phillips cdr w/ adaptec scsi. :: Winfast nvidia geforce 256 ddr 32mb w/ tv out. :: Diamond monster mx 300 Sound. :: Standard Floppy. :: 5 speakers including a subwoofer. :: Us robotics external 56k modem x2 v.90. :: Intellimouse explorer. ::

Standard gateway keyboard. :: 17 inch gateway ev700 monitor. :: Epson stylus color 600 printer. :: Info scaner. :: D-link 10/100 mbit ethernet lan card. dfe-530tx+ w/ wol. :: Windows 2000 Professional.

I agree, Windows 2000 is the best OS I've used - I've had a few problems but a) most of them are down to immature drivers and B) I don't mind tweaking things or asking to see if anyone else has tweaked it to get it working - I enjoy doing stuff like this and improved my knowledge no end. Would "never" go back to Win98.

Exorcist

My main reason for this post was to see what everyone would think and respond with. Now, I need to respond back to some of these comments.

Darkone....As for the merger of Windows 9X and Win2k, yes Win2k was supposed to start the merger between Win9X and NT. This was about 1-2 years ago. But, MS reliezed that they couldn't do it in such a short period of time. If that was the case, why the hell didn't MS think about that before they even mentioned it to the public.

Nova...all I can say is that ALL my hardware is less than 3 months old and "name brand". I build my open computers and select the best of everything. Maybe that is why Win2k doesn't work well is because of "too new" hardware. But, when companies release "canidate" drivers for their products, it just shows that they haven't taken the time and effort to release drivers that work and are stable. Win2k has been in beta for why too long for companies not to release a stable driver. And why are drivers released so much faster under win98. Maybe cause the Win2k code is screwy (and way to much code... maybe like Cobol???....50 lines to print something one the screen). And why the hell did ZDNet find a document stating that win2k had 64K bugs (not that I believe it) but it is just another element added to the stack.

DosFreak.....NV 2000 doesn't work with Win2k. It only works with Win9X and NT. Yes, there are shareware versions of AV software, but when I pay for one, I shouldn't have to search around and buy another version from somewhere else...not to mention definition updates.

The main reason I posted the message was to just see what response i'd get back. I'm sorry but the effort required to get Win2k running stable just isn't worth it. True, some apps work just fine, but when you install a couple not so "mainstream" ones and they start acting funny, it just is annoying as hell. If you read some of the "high on your horse" comments on the forums, people make win2k sound so wonderful. But in reality, Win2k is still in beta test....in terms of beta testing to see what apps and drivers don't work and where companies have put time and effort to get things to work.

There is no way I could put only win2k on my system. I work from home....some of those corporate apps (off the shelf too) just don't install or work correctly. Then you have gamers.....no comment there. Just read the gamer forum posts.

As for Windows ME...that is just an upgrade/bug fix for Windows 9X. However it also includes a few new apps and the Win2k desktop layout/icons.

One other thing...why is there already an update to win2k that fixes compatibility issues with some apps and a good number of games? Coding issues????

And I feel sorry for people that buy Win2k (good chunk of $$$) and then find out that some of there apps/games, etc don't work. Talk about an expensive beta test for those people.

I guess i'll look back at Win2k once 2-3 service packs are released. Hmmmmm...just like Win NT....took them enough service packs to get things right.....actually it was FOUR! LOL

-Q

Your right, microsoft did initialy say that win2k was going to be a merger of nt and 9x. BUT they later said it wasnt and that would be for a later product.

Quantus = _________.

I don't want to be ignorant. you fill it out to your needs.

(try and find an AV application for win2k!).

well symantec av works fine and well in win2k.

Mcafee Virusscan 4.03 for win NT works fine under win2k.

mcafee is also developing (or actually finished, and to be released) virusscan 4.5 for win95/98/ME/NT4/Win2000.

sorry if you can't find what you are looking for, but do some checking before you post untrue posts to a message board.

either you are not doing research before you upgrade to win2k, then have problems, or you are posting just to get some attention (which is sad if this is the case)

97% of my apps work out of the box.

1.5% don't work at all

and 1.5% need to be hacked (patched via setwin95.cmd)

apps that work:

Microsoft Office 2000 premium

Microsoft Works 2000 (lowest version)

Microsoft Encarta 98 Encyclopedia

Canon Creative 3 printer software.

Creative labs soundblaster 16 Software

MGI Photosuite SE

Inuit Quicktax 1999

Ms monster truck madness 1/2

ms midtown maddness

Quake (winquake) /2/3

Unreal Tournament Demo

Half-life

Half-life opposing force demo

Mcafee virusscan 4.5 (Rc)

Real Player 7 (newest released yesterday)

icq 2000 alpha (latest from feb)

ms intellipoint 3.1a

winzip 8 beta 2

quicktime 4.1

apps that work after setwin95

ms baseball 3d/2000

hasbro jumble

apps that don't work at all

Hasbro scrabble (version 1)

hasbro boggle

(of course the stuff that doesn't work at all arent even mine, so i don't care about them =))

so if you take the pros and the cons of the os, and work out the odds, what would you choose?

win2k is my obvious choice.

Funny thing is, everyone said that win9x had no dirver support, and was poo for games when it was released, took at least 6-12months for software titles to get to grips with it and hardware manufactures to get there act toghether,

Get off your f'ing high horse. Following the normal "Shop Symantec" there is only a reference to Win9X, and NT. I agree that the link posted does reference Win2k support, but going through the "Shop Symantec" link, there is nothing that shows that. It is buried under all the crap.

Also, if you follow the posted link above and then click on "Purchase from Shop Symantec", it DOES NOT reference Win2k on that page. So, no i'm not dumb, I just didn't find THAT specific page with THAT specific wording!

As for McAfee....well unless it says Win2k, I don't install it (when it comes to AV, etc. type software). I have had way to many problems and don't want to "hack" installs or setups. It will just cause more problems in the future.

Cut/Pastre from their site:

Norton AntiVirus 2000 6.0

for Windows 95/98/NT

Norton AntiVirus from Symantec is the #1 anti-virus software in the world.

Purchase Norton AntiVirus 2000 6.0 for $36 downloadable for Win 95/98 or Win NT or for $39.95 packaged for Win 95/98/NT.

Archaon....when Win95 came out, yeah everyone knew that support would take a while. It was a totally different OS from Win 3.1. Think about it...plug and play, true dialup...a completely different core. Yeah, Win2k and Win98 are different but the under lying core is similar (if some win9X and NT apps all work on top of the OS, it can't be that different). Also, things in the internet have changed greatly since then (being more internet games, etc.). You just can't compare Win 3.1/Win95 to Win98/Win2k.

And just cause YOUR apps/games work just fine doesn't mean everyone elses will. Hardware combinations are too numerous to even count. I know about 5 people that tried Win2k, had apps/game problems, tried doing the "hack" thing and they weren't successful. Why should I have to "hack" anything anyways.

As for Arin....you are just so intelligent! If you don't have anything good to say regarding this discussion, then don't.

-Q

Quantus, I've been watching this thread from the start. I could pick apart your commints but it's easier and more to the point to just say your clueless about what Windows2000 is all about. If Windows2000 is over your head, don't use it, but don't try to change those of us who do get it.

Uh...one other thing. In reference to Brain Stew's comment "...Also, Microsoft is not responsible for the apps and drivers that come out for Win2k...".

Yes and no to the that. It all has to do with the relationship between software and hardware manuf. companies. An example is the instruction sets used on the AMD processors (3DNOW). In the beginning game companies where trying to intergrate the code to use 3DNOW into their games but they had major problems. So, AMD decided that in order to make the 3DNOW instruction sets successful (and in turn their processes), AMD assigned engineers to some of these game companies to get the game code correct. It worked and was done before the games even went gold. Yeah there were and still are exceptions, but i'm trying to present a point here.

This is the same thing that MS and hardware manufactures should have done but they didn't. It is the same thing......if they are having problems (which should have been resolved during beta tests), MS should have gotten involved and helped solve the driver creation issues.

-Q

Geo....i'm sorry, but i'll put my Windows NT, Windows 9X, hardware, software, networking knowledge against yours anyday.

This isn't perosnal, just fact.

Sometimes it is really hard to make a point on these forums. Plus, when I did my test post to see what reactions i'd get, I already had a bad opinion in everone's eyes.

I'm done...i've made my point and they are correct (in my eyes and many others, including trade publications, some of which I received today).

Out..

-Q

BTW "Quantus"

'Qantas' stands for "Queensland and Northern Territory Air Service" and you can't spell.

:|

------------------

--------------------

I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Quantus I rarely reply to these types of topics but I feel compelled to set you straight on a few things. First off Windows 2000 does not suck. Yes Yes I know you did not exactly state "WIN2K SUCKS" but you did not have to. Your message was written in such a negative way that it was blatantly implied that "WIN2K Sucks" What is implied by a message is most cases is actually the most important part of a message. As to your "driver issues" you have with Win2k I have a suggestion. Take the 486 24 megs of ram system your currently running Win2k on and chunk it out of the window. Then ask Santa to bring you a nice big Athlon system for christmas and all will be much better.

***TRUST IN YOUR TECHNOLUST***

felix......and your point would be? My name is that way for a reason. I didn't want to have the same name as a popular airline!

-Q

Quote:
Originally posted by Quantus:
Get off your f'ing high horse. Following the normal "Shop Symantec" there is only a reference to Win9X, and NT. I agree that the link posted does reference Win2k support, but going through the "Shop Symantec" link, there is nothing that shows that. It is buried under all the crap.

Also, if you follow the posted link above and then click on "Purchase from Shop Symantec", it DOES NOT reference Win2k on that page. So, no i'm not dumb, I just didn't find THAT specific page with THAT specific wording!

As for McAfee....well unless it says Win2k, I don't install it (when it comes to AV, etc. type software). I have had way to many problems and don't want to "hack" installs or setups. It will just cause more problems in the future.

Cut/Pastre from their site:

Norton AntiVirus 2000 6.0
for Windows 95/98/NT
Norton AntiVirus from Symantec is the #1 anti-virus software in the world.

Purchase Norton AntiVirus 2000 6.0 for downloadable for Win 95/98 or Win NT or for .95 packaged for Win 95/98/NT.

Archaon....when Win95 came out, yeah everyone knew that support would take a while. It was a totally different OS from Win 3.1. Think about it...plug and play, true dialup...a completely different core. Yeah, Win2k and Win98 are different but the under lying core is similar (if some win9X and NT apps all work on top of the OS, it can't be that different). Also, things in the internet have changed greatly since then (being more internet games, etc.). You just can't compare Win 3.1/Win95 to Win98/Win2k.

And just cause YOUR apps/games work just fine doesn't mean everyone elses will. Hardware combinations are too numerous to even count. I know about 5 people that tried Win2k, had apps/game problems, tried doing the "hack" thing and they weren't successful. Why should I have to "hack" anything anyways.

As for Arin....you are just so intelligent! If you don't have anything good to say regarding this discussion, then don't.

-Q

Quantus what the hell do you thing windows 2000 is?
its Windows NT, 5.0
its not like its a totaly different type of os.
its Windows NT plain and simple.
also id rather hack a game to work, than run a hacked operating system like win9x.
win2k rules.

Did you ever take the time to think that maybe windows 2000 thinks you suck?

Quantus.. This is an NT compatible Forum... Seems that you and your system are not. Maybe you should bye an Imac or a calculator..

But we dont need to hear you whinning. We would rather hear what works and doesnt work so we can fix it or try the fix.

So.. If you dont have a question we can help you with... Move on... Please..

------------------

When the world comes to a halt, Hold The F*** ON!!!