Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cormac

I need help bad.

My computer was running fine Thursday morning. That evening I went to reboot it and it took a long time to reboot and when it did it hit the login password I have and that worked fine. Then when the desktop picture came up there were no icons.

I tried to reboot to see if that would bring them back and no luck.

I then tried to go into safe mode but when it got to the password for the login screen, it wouldn't accept it nor would it accept me typing in administrator.

Any suggestions on what I can do next and also can you tell me how to get rid of that damn login. I thought I was making my computer safer having that turned on and it has only been a pain in the butt.

The OS is Win XP Pro SP2 fully updated.

I did update spybot and Ad Aware yesterday.

Thanks for any help provided.

I am only guessing because it is certainly possible for something that was supposed to install at boot-time is clogging things up, but it sounds llke your hard disk may have gone south.

I think it is something loading that is causing the problem. Earlier this morning I was able to get to the desktop picture and was finally able to get task manager to pop up and noticed that there was quite a few things that hadn't loaded up yet. So I picked a service at random and shut it down and next thing I know, everything loaded up. The only problem was about 30 seconds later I was hit with a DCOMM error message that said that the NT System was being shut down in 55 seconds. I rebooted and did all that I mentioned above and this time the error message was for the RPC or the RCP and then the system shuts down.

So since it doesn't seem to matter which service is shut down that allows for the rest of the loadup

I will just have someone come in and take a look at it. Four days of frustration can do that to a person:)

This sounds like a Malware issue, do you have another machine that you can d/l some apps like Spybot - S & D, AdAware PE and the like ?!?

It would be interesting to note if this same thing occurs if you go into safe mode or disconnect the network cable from your ISP.

Well I ran all the scanners I have and they found nothing. I ran spybot, AdAware, HiJackThis, CW Shredder, and a few others and everything came back negative. I ran my anti-virus and that came back negative.

I noticed that someone had posted problems with the newest Zone Alarm Pro update. So I went to their forums and there are what seemed about 15+ pages of problems people are having after the newest update.

So I checked into that and still couldn't see anything that matched my problem. I tried to get into safe mode repeatedly and I was blocked at my login page. I also had disconnected the cable from the modem right after the problem started just in case I had somehow been taken over.

I had the tech in earlier today and he tried a lot of different programs to see if the hard drive had gone bad but it came back clean,

So finally he did a rewrite of the MBR and so far so good (Knocking on wood) that everything is working again and just to be safe about ZA I download version 6.5 and dumped 7.0 just to be safe.

I ave a quickcam express and have been trying to get the settings right for it but not sure where or how to do it.

Need help bad. thanks

Just sent a message about my quickcam express but some of the letters skipped so hope you will forgive me but I truly need help bad with getting settings right.

I have tried all evening last night to do this but haven't gotten anywhere with it and it has been very frustrating for me as know it isn't really that hard to do.

I sure hope you are able to help me with this as need to take pictures so they are the right color etc.

Thanks again.