Compatible Support Forums
Chrashtopher

CD-RW not recognized

I recently purchased a ASUS P4V800D-X motherboard and installed it in a P4, 2.4, 1g memory. Installed new copy XP Pro, applied service packs, etc. I have a Lite-On LTR 52327 S CDR-RW and the BIOS recognizes the CD but after POST it doesn’t seem to exist. I’ve tried everything I can think of from new cables to changing jumpers, etc. and nothing seems to work. When I put a Nero install disk in, it does flash 3 times and then tells me to inset disk into drive E, then nothing. I have a 250 gig and 150 gig HD's. ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE ME WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED AS I AM READY TO PULL OUT MY HAIR. If I put the same disk in the DVD player it works fine. HELP! Thanks in advance for ANY tricks or help.

Chrash

Yes, it appears in device manager and I've tried the unistall/install thing. Everything looks normal. Shows up in explorer, device manager says it's there and NOTHING!!! Starting to drive me crazy. Don't you just LOVE computers? 8~)

is it possible that for some reason it is sharing the same drive assignment (C: or D:) as something else in they system?

try this in case, right clic My Computer and choose manage then go to drive management and see what drive letter was assigned to the

CD Rom clic on it and choose to change the drive letter assignment and choose something other then what it took by default and see if it gets picked up.

S

thanks for the response. i tried that and n o t h i n g, no overlap. i think i'm going to go buy a new one and see if that isn't the problem. this just doesn't make any sense. if it isn't a bad drive, at least that's been eliminated from the equation. if it is, i've restored my sanity relatively cheaply.

did you try a different drive assignment anyways just to see if that gives it the kick in the pants it needs to get detected?

How is the drive jumpered AND cabled on the system now?

Does this article seem to apply to you?

Did you try Wilhelmus' linked fix?