Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
z55

USB Adapter

I just bought one of those usb adapter that connects to the usb header on the motherboard. When I power the computer on, I notice little sparks coming off the metal plate. Is there a way to fix this?

WHAT.... Not good at all!! and what metal plate are the sparks coming from? do you mean the metal plate for the usb (where you plug in)or the metal plate where all the different connections are at the back of the PC.

You may have a SERIOUS ground issue and I would not use that PC till you resolve this as you may endup frying all your components

The metal plate on the usb adapter is where I see the sparks. Once it makes contact with the back of the case where I screw it to hold it in place. The computer works fine, maybe I just got a bad adapter.

I think you have a ground issue and your passing current through the board. You may need to remove all your components then the motherboard and check to make sure the board is sitting properly in the case.

S

I found the problem. This is a 2 port adapter, I unscrewed one of the ports leaving only one attached to the plate, and there's no more sparks. I screwed the other port in, and it started sparking again, so obviously somewhere in the wiring of that port is bad.