Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Distar

3.66 only working Win2k Geforce driver ...

I tried all Nvidia beta drivers - the latest drivers that run stable (no lockups on desktop) are 3.66 beta with Powerstrip force 1x agp.

Everything else (tried 3.69, 3.72, 3.75 and 3.76) lock up randomly on the Win2k desktop - and in Everquest. Quake3 seems to run stable with all versions so the opengl part doesnt seem to be affected by the stablity issues.

I dont really trust that 2x AGP with Athlon Irongate boards ... the drivers set it by default but its a known chipset problem so i doubt a driver can fix it ... well even if i force 1x AGP with all newer betas i still get the lockups...

I use an Athlon 500 on a Gigabyte 7IX(C4), 256 mb ram and a Creative SDR Geforce.

If anyone else experienced these kind of problems with drivers >3.66 please reply - want to know if its just me or a real problem wink

Thanks,

Distar

oh no, its definetly a real problem. I have a creative geforce 256 Pro, and an athlon-700 on an FIC-SD11 mobo. any driver > 3.66

(i.e. any driver with AGP turned on) causes random lockups on the desktop. one interesting thing I have noticed is every time it happens, my mouse pointer on the locked screen looks like it has been cut in half, so it seems the problem is only occuring when moving the mouse around on the desktop. (it freezes between drawing the mouse pointer movement) I have no idea if that is relevant at all.. =) I have also seen others with these problems. I am currently just running off the 3.66 drivers and they are fine. If anyone has any type of fix or work-around for this, i'd LOVE to hear it.

--redwin

I'm having that IDENTICAL problem. I have no idea what to do. I may try changing the mouse pointer and seeing what happens. It may seem stupid, but that cut in half mouse pointer deal is just weird. Whatever works eh? smile

Sensei

Well, I messed around with mouse pointers. The reason the mouse pointer splits in half when you freeze up is because of the shadow. Turning off the mouse pointer shadow did nothing to alleviate the random lockups though. frown I'm back to 3.66 now. This really sucks. System:

AMD Athlon 650

Gigabyte 7IX

256 MB RAM

TNT2 Ultra

Sensei

i had that problem with win2k on sd-11 too witht he mouse!! and i had like 5 things on irq # 9!!! ahhh

Has anybody tried the Guillemot drivers? I havent crashed yet using them. I know they are a port of the Nvidia 3.78 drivers but I have not had any of the freezing problems that I had with the Nvidia drivers and the Directx is running better. No more wavy graphics in starcraft. It only been about 1hour so far so ill give some more time. Though 15 mins was enough time to crash if I wasn't playing games.

GPR

www.guillemot.com

Im glad someone else is having the same problems as me!

I have battled with this for days, ive had exactly the same symptoms - lock ups in 2d, whilst moving the mouse!

I also know at least 5 other people with the same problems, the only way i solved it was to borrrow a g200!

Please let me know the best solution you find!

I tried the way which was on this board a little while ago, I think - I did this with the 3.78 set of drivers already installed.

Boot into safe mode - and copy the nt4_mini.sys driver from the 3.66 set of Drivers to your systemrootdir\system32\drivers folder (where systemrootdir is like c:\winnt\).

Reboot the machine again, and it should be fine - this seems to have worked for lots of people, including myself - I did it several days ago and no hint of a lock-up since smile

Exorcist

[This message has been edited by Exorcist (edited 05 March 2000).]

Where I can get that file nt4_mini.sys driver from the 3.66 set of Drivers or Nvidia drivers ver 3.66?

hi folks,

have this problem too, k7m, creative labs geforce;

also, disabling acpi is not solving this problem (before irq's were shared between almost all pci cards)

you can get 3.66 from either www.riva3d.com or www.3dchipset.com

yes, its true, that you can get your system running with this (3.66 sys) but you have bad performance: amd 700mhz and 3.66 => 2600 3dmarks2000; 3.78 => 3600 3dmarks!!!

i have had phone conversation with creative labs (becaus you cant contact nvidia) but those support guys are totally dumb! (dont know why i paid money for support with my graphics card :-(((

please any1 let me know if a solution is near - but i fear we have to wait for the k7v :-(

asus did a terrible job with this mobo IMHO (also this atx power supply position)

hope this helps

r.d.

Hi, I have the 550 athlon in a sd11 mobo. I have been having the same problem as yall. I have the guillemont ddr GEforce. I have tried their 2000 beta drivers with no luck. I thought that I was the only one. Very glad I found this post about the 3.66 drivers. Thanks

well i was having the same probs but creative has just released their drivers for win2k and my creative anhilator ddr works fine with their drivers.....i have a 466mhz celeron oced to 600.....win2k pro.....

yep, same problems as nvidia reference driver (although different file structure)

you gain nothing :-(

Tried the 3.79 drivers from Asus and was humming along last night and I was all ready to post the great news of success until I feel asleep at the keyboard and woke up to a stiff screen. Rebooted and I froze right after I logged in. DO THESE GUYS THOUROUGHLY TEST THE DRIVERS BEFORE POSTING THEM? I bet they develop on Intel systems and not Athlon boxs. How can they miss such a HUGE problem?

I give up. 3.75/3.66 coctail for me.

Not just a problem with the GeForce and Win2K. My boy has a pIII600 and is using a viper 770 Ultra. I have the 368 Drives installed on his machine, and WIN98 and it locks up ramdomly on him. I have the Geforce DDR guillemont with the 378 drivers and a pIII650 with WIN2K, and it locks up randomly on me even when I am in a game using Glide and my 2 voodoo 2's in SLI mode. Leads me to believe it has nothing to do with the 3D drivers. It will also lock up at the desk top.

------------------

PIII650

256 Meg Ram

Geforce DDR Guillemont

2 voodoo 2's in SLI mode

ABIT BH6

Ultra 2 SCSI's

300 Watt power supply

Hatachi 21" Super Scan

Techram 390 U2W SCSI Controler

Just want to share my story real quick in case it helps anyone out...

Upon installing Win2k I had no end of application crashes (2D and 3D apps) and also an occasional blue screen halt.

Since my symptoms were so similar to others I just assumed it was the Nvidia drivers.

However, browsing Usenet I came across a post about populating all 4 RAM slots on my mobo causing problems in Win2k. So I took 1 stick out and, just like that, rock solid Win2k with the 3.78 drivers.

Abit BX6 2.0 (has 4 ram slots)

Celeron 300a OC 450

384 meg RAM

Creative Geforce DDR

ok guys, this is a known problem with amd k7 and nvidia drivers, so please stop posting intel related problems

thank you

I say keep posting them even if you have an Intel system. It seems as though it's a problem with Windows 2000 or the Nvidia drivers and not a hardware problem. For instance, with my Athlon 650 and Gigabyte 7IX, I can run in AGP 2X with sidebanding enabled in Windows 98 all night long, but in 2000, I get random lockups. It's an obvious software problem. I just hope it's corrected before I lose my mind. It's getting awfully annoying not having AGP at all because I keep having to revert back to 3.66. Earlier today, I sent an email to support@nvidia.com telling them of my problem and pointing them to this thread. Maybe something will come of it? I don't know. frown

Pete

I got the same problem:

W2K sometimes freezes;

it runs stable for hours using OpenGL-Apps/Games

My hardware:

-Athlon 600MHz

-ASUS K7M

-Creative Annihilator Pro (Geforce DDR)

-Creative SB-Live!

-3COM 3C905B-Combo

-128MB PC100 ECC-Ram

-ATAPI/EIDE-Devices (CD, CDRW, Zip, Disk)

i also tried the nVidia 3.66 drivers but this wont help;

im using the creative drivers now;

i dont see any difference using AGP 1x /2x at all towards stability (my irongate is already stepping c6)

I asked Creative Labs on CeBit, but they didnt know anything from w2k... ("oh this os is very new and blah..." - something like this)

I dont know what to do;

i think if there arent new drivers making my os rock stable I´ll switch back to "good" old NT4;

I got the same problem:

W2K sometimes freezes;

but it runs stable for hours using OpenGL-Apps/Games

My hardware:

-Athlon 600MHz

-ASUS K7M

-Creative Annihilator Pro (Geforce DDR)

-Creative SB-Live!

-3COM 3C905B-Combo

-128MB PC100 ECC-Ram

-ATAPI/EIDE-Devices (CD, CDRW, Zip, Disk)

I also tried the nVidia 3.66 drivers but this wont help;

im using the creative drivers now;

I dont see any difference using AGP 1x /2x at all towards stability (my irongate is already stepping c6)

I asked Creative Labs on CeBit, but they didnt know anything from w2k... ("oh this os is very new and blah..." - something like this)

I dont know what to do;

i think if there arent new drivers making my os rock stable out there for the next 2 weeks, I´ll switch back to "good" old NT4;

I am using the Gullimant beta drivers on my system (WIN 2000 and 3D prophet SDR) and only had one lockup in the last 3 or 4 days. Not sure if it is driver related, but they seem to be alright so far. I have not tried the 3.66 drivers though and not sure they are even WIN 2000 workable?

------------------

PIII650 @ 728

Abit BE6-2

256MB PC 100

3D Prophet SDR 32MB

ive also got the same problem

amd 500

fic sd11

creative riva tnt

one weird thing that seemed to fix the probs

was enabling memory hole in the bios

works fine now no random crashing