Compatible Support Forums
Dazzr

Is it safe to format my c: when e: is a dynamic

Hi

I intend to format my c: and re-install my OS (xp), but when i put my latest harddrive (sata raid with small orange connector cable) it added it differently in my Disk Management screen. i.e.

c: = Primary(name) - Layout = Partition - Type = Basic - NTFS/Healthy(system)

e: = Third (name) - Layout = Simple - Type = Dynamic - NTFS/Healthy

This is the first sata raid I have added and I do not want to format the main drive and loose data that shows how the third is configured, if that is how it works.

My question is:

Can I format the c: (partition type) without loosing or making the data on the e: (dynamic type) useless

Is this just the way that the sata raid is configured whenever you add

When I put the OS on again will it pick up the drive exactly how it is now.

Thanks Dazzr

Sounds like E: is on a completely different disk (a whole disk can be Basic or Dynamic not both).

Therefore, I would say yes, it is possible to reinstall the OS without affecting data on E: (make sure you backup any important work first, just in case...)

You should be able to format the C: drive without any interference with to the E: drive. Even if both drives were physically on the same disc, you should be able to format just the C: drive. The only way to get rid of partitions on a single disk is to completely format the entire disk.

I have a 120 GB HDD with two logical drives (20 and 60 GB). I originally had ME on the 20 GB and made it the bootable drive. Because it was ME, I had to reformat the C: drive multiple times and it never touched anything on the D: drive (60 GB).