Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
shazamtwix

x org problem

hey guys,

so this is pretty ridiculous. i sometimes have problems with alsa recognizing my sound card (integrated into the mobo), so i decided somehow that it was a good idea to uninstall the fedora 6's alsa drivers. now, ever since doing so, whenever i boot into fc6, the x.org server doesn't start up. so i'm stuck with just the text-based interface (with which i'm not particularly handy). can someone PLEASE help me get my x.org server back up?!?!

Thanks!

-Michael

Let's try the easy fix first, but it looks like you uninstalled more than alsa. Try to configure the display manually. When you get to the console after boot, make sure that you are root user. Once you are signed in, type;

system-config-display (hit the enter key)

See if you gey a display utility window that allows you to configure your video card and monitor.

If this gets complicated, please post the make and exact model of your motherboard, as well as the video card and monitor that you are using.

Hi danleff,

OK, so I tried your fix. A display config screen came up, and all looked well. But when I exited the display screen, I was confronted with the following message:

(xconf.py:2668): libglade-WARNING could not load support for 'gnome': libgnome.so:cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory. Freeing option 0x9141508 Window manager warning: lost connection to the display ':17.0'; most likely the x server was shut down or you killed/destroyed the window manager.

Any further advice?

Thanks!

What happens when you try to re-install Gnome, which should solve any dependencies with xorg?

yum groupinstall "GNOME Desktop Environment"

So I tried the groupinstall, and after starting to install, i received the following message:

Warning: Group GNOME desktop environment does not exist. No packages in any requested group available to install or update.

-Michael