Compatible Support Forums
watthepuc

new comp wont POST

If someone can help me solve this problem it would be great.

I'm building a new comp. with a ECS K8M890M-M (V1.0) mobo.

I've connected all the wires and tried powering it up. The psu fan cpu fan and all other fans are working. The cd-rom drive even seems like it's booting up. However, I do not get any signal on my monitor. I've tried listening for the bios beeps but haven't heard anything but small clicks.

I've tried

reseating the memory.

Used another monitor.

Taking out connection to the cd-rom, harddrive to see if the bios will run but nothing.

any thing would help.

The small clicks you are hearing are usually a bad sign. Try to pinpoint where they are coming from. From my own experience, these clicks were coming from the HDD itself and was due to physical errors on the disk. If this is the case, you're just going to need a new HDD.

Could you post the specs. on the hardware that you are using?

Try re-seating the video card, since this is where the issue seems to be. Sometimes the video card is not seated properly.

What is the video card make and model?

Power supply make and rating?

Also, you will not get any bios beeps, if you do not have a speaker hooked from the motherboard to the case.

Make sure that your terminal connections are all correct for power on, reset....

Make sure their are no possible shorts from the ainboard to the case.

When you tried to boot with the hard drive removed, did you also get the "clicks"?

You may want to take a look at the PC Guide page to help troubleshoot the problem. Their decision tree is pretty good.

memory: wintec ampo 3AMD2800-1G1K-R 2x512mb ddr2 800

mobo: ecs k8m890m-m

psu: spi fsp200-50snv 200watts

vid: on-board vid

I took out the memory to test if the mobo is working and it does give me contants beeps. Then I checked with the bios (ami) to keep if the error is correct and it is. So could this be a memory problem?

yea I have in each of the dimm slots individually. Still same. but I noticed that there is a different sequence of small clicks when I do this.

Are you using a 20 or 24 pin power connector?

From manual:

Quote:
Users please note that the 20-pin and 24-pin power cables can both be connected to the ATX_POWER connector. With the 20-pin power cable, just align the 20-pin power cable with the pin 1 of the ATX_POWER connector.

However, using 20-pin power cable may cause the system to become unbootable or unstable because of insufficient electricity.

Had this same exact problem as well. Finally managed to solve it, sort of.

I put together a new mobo (the same as yours), video card (Nvidia GeForce 6600) and 2 512 sticks of ram in, pushed the power button and got the same effect. I ended up removing the vid card, one stick of ram, and my slave HDD and got it to finally run on the onboard video chip. Thing was, I had to fiddle with the RAM placement a lot to get there. I'd put a stick in slot 1, and it wouldn't work, so i put the other stick in the same slot, and it booted up no problem. Then I put the first stick back in alongside it in slot 2, and it wouldn't work. SO I took the first stick out, leaving the same configuration and placing I had when it booted correctly, and it wouldn't work. I switched them around a bit more, and finally got it to run with both in.

I know that's not much of an answer, but I'm having more problems with it even now, and I'm just going to take it back and get a decent one.