Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
packman

Where do I enable cookies?

I've recently returned to using Internet Explorer 6, after having used Firefox for a long time. In IE, however, my username and password at websites like this are not being remembered. I've searched around the Security and Privacy tabs and settings in OE and IE but still haven't managed to find the key setting(s) that will enable the sites to set their cookies and therefore allow my usernames and passwords to be remembered by them. Can someone advise me where the crucial settings are located? OS is WinXP.

Hmmm, I'm using IE7, but should be the same...

Click "Tools/Internet Options/Content", then click the "settings" button beside "AutoComplete", and thar ya go. smile

I've now done that, Relic. However, most of the settings in that button were already checked; the only one that wasn't was Forms.

I'll now run a test to see if usernames and passwords are now being stored and will report back here.

Right click on the Internet Explorer Icon, choose Properties, then select Privacy tab. Generally, the slider bar is set to Medium. Lowering this from the slider bar will allow for more cookies to be received in theory.

Update:

From further tests I've run, it seems that cookies are properly held at some websites but not at others. I've noticed in particular that whilst usernames or e-mail addresses are properly retained at some websites, passwords are not, even though I've opted at those websites for the password to be also remembered. I can remain logged in at the website for the online session but if I come out of Internet Explorer and then go back on and go back to the website, I have to log in all over again.

Could it be that some websites are using out-of-date SSL protocols?

Actually, one of the websites where my password is not being retained is the Microsoft ID Passport (for Community Tech groups).