Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bchilly

PC totally screwed!!

Heres the story, I installed the Windows Vista Transformation pack and didn't like so uninstalled it. The uninstaller removed nothing of the pack so i was stuck with the windows vista look. After an hour of trying to fix this I decided to remove Service Pack 2 to see if tht would restore anything. It didn't, all that happened was that my PC refused to boot in anything other than safemode. System restore totally messed up and reinstalled SP2 which resulted in a BSOD after every normal and safemode boot. I then used a recovery disk and do a windows re-installation but leaving all my current files and software on the harddrive. After this my PC got stuck in a loop on the boot screen, and would only boot in safemode when cancelling the load of SPTD.sys (or whatever its called) or in debugging mode. Instead of showing the normal Windows logon screen it goes to the Ctrl - Alt - Del logon but stops loading when it says 'Windows is starting up'

Any ideas before i take it to the shop tomorrow evening?

It appears you have Daemon Tools installed.

Try booting into safe mode and uninstalling this app first and reboot the machine after uninstalling it and see if this works for you.

If not, then possibly a repair install of the OS would resolve this issue, otherwise you most likely will want to backup any important data and then reformat the HD and reload a fresh install of the OS.

Another option would be to get an external USB enclosure for this HD and then purchase a new HD for installing a fresh copy of the OS onto. This way you can access your old data/files from the external USB drive wink

Afraid I can't do that as it won't fully load to the logon screen even in safemode it just loops ' Windows is starting up' as it does the boot screen when i try a normal boot. I was thinking that when I take it to the shop they could install a new HDD put a new OS on and that and then I'd be able to boot from that and view and copy all the files from my old HDD onto the new one.

Also even though SP2 has been uninstalled it still thinks it has SP2. The normal boot screen says WinXP Home but it safemode it says Service Pack 2 along the top.....

Could that be part of the problem?

Originally Posted By: bchilly
says Service Pack 2 along the top.....

Could that be part of the problem?

Possibly, be sure that the shop uses something like Partition Magic to hide then unhide your original HD, this way the drive is no longer active and bootable. No reason to have TWO hard drives that are both active and bootable wink

The dude at the shop said he'd do a clean install, if its called that (the one that keeps all your files and settings) from a WinXP Home SP2 disk so hopefully that will work smile

That would be the REPAIR installation where it picks up the currently installed OS and over-writes the system/support files for said operating system.

Be sure they do a full WindowsUpdate for at least the Critical Security Updates as well wink

I personally do a complete update of all the files for the device drivers as well, this includes the Graphics, Sound, Chipset, DirectX, etc....