Compatible Support Forums
WRX_Rocky

Gaming rig - what to do????

Currently, I have the ASUS A8N-32SLI mobo with the AMD 64 X2 4400+ CPU, 3 GIG of dual Corsair ram, (2) EVGA 7900GT in SLI mode, (3) 250 GIG SATA and one 500 GIG SATA II drives, SB X-Fi sounds card, and a few other goodies. But the system seems to either be getting slower, or the games are getting tougher for it to run well.

Now I am wondering what to do next? I have seen reviews and heard that Intel has finally gotten its act together now with the CORE 2 Duo, and is now the choice for a gaming rig. So now I am wondering what to do next? I play mostly military sim-like games (GRAW, BF2, BF2142), racing sims (GTR and soon GTR2), and online games like WoW and EQ2.

Would it be worth it to upgrade the mobo, ram, and CPU? But on the other hand, it seems that the consoles are now getting MORE importance, and PC games are starting to dwindle! Epic even stated that they will not be making a computer version of Gears of War, which from the screenshots I have seen, looks killer! So would getting an X-Box 360 be better? Or wait for the PS3 to finally get back to normal pricing? What a tough decision!

Now, if I go with the Intel Core 2 Duo, which is the best mobo, and which CPU? These have gotten more complicated than the old days when a Pentium P90 meant it was a 90mhz speed CPU. Now it seems that you can't tell what speed ANY Intel or AMD chips are.

Thanks

Here are my full specs:

ASUS A8N32 SLI DLX (1103 BIOS)

AMD 64 X2 4400+

3 GIG Corsair XMS RAM

SB X-FI Extreme Music

(2) EVGA 7900 GT CO (12.03 BIOS) in SLI mode and 84.56 drivers

500 GIG Seagate SATA II HD

(3) Maxtor 350 GIG SATA I HD

LG Lightscrive DVD burner

Liteon DVD burner

3.5 floppy

(4) 60mm fans

(1) 120mm fan

Gigabyte G-Power Pro CPU cooler

Silverstone Zues ST75ZF 750W PSU (quad rails)

Samsung 20.1" LCD (6ms) which runs at 60mhz, and using a dual DVI cable connection