Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
marcus2704

FTP problem

Hi,

Im running IIS on my Server 2k3 box and want to be able to use FTP functionality.

The problem I have is that I am unable to connect anonymously using IE, although connecting with Firefox works.

The connection itself is successful, and logs show that, but the connection hangs soon after connection at "Getting Contents of Folder". Soon after that, the message "An error occurred opening that folder on the FTP server. Make sure you have permission to access that folder."

The NTFS permission on the FTP folder is that the Internet Guest Account IUSR_servername has Modify access on that Dir. I tested giving Everyone full access but same problem. I also gave IUSR full permission with the same result.

I have forwarded ports 20 and 21, and believe that its a permissioning issue although I have enabled anonymous access and Im strangely able to connect using Firefox.

I am behind a Linksys router.

Anyone have any ideas?

This was happening because IE defaults to having Passive mode enabled, disabling this from IT advanced options and also disabling the FTP folder view allows IE to connect to the FTP.

I dont want to have to ask clients to edit IT settings however, and wonder if anyone knows how to enable passive mode on IIS.

Thanks for the link, I carried out the above but still no joy. Connecting to the FTP gives a 426 error in Firefox and IE "Connection closed, transfer aborted".