Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
shaun

samba write permission problem

l have set up samaba (for the first time) on mandrake 9 (also first time) and can see the share from my XP box and navigate around it and open files but cannot create new ones or modify existing files. l thought i followed the set up informtion i had, and can't seem to find a problem.

any ideas?

l can show my smb.conf if you would like...

cheers.

shaun..

Use the Samba Web Administration Tool. It rocks.

It should help you finger out the problem. There is extensive HELP...

But, the surest thing I can tell you, if the directory is not owned or made writable to the username you are using through through UNIX... well that'd be yur prob.

If the Directory is owned by root and grouped root, has perm -rwxrwx---, you'll never write to it. You have to rememebr SAMBA is ON TOP of UNIX security, SAMBA follows the rules just like any other application.

Quote:
l have set up samaba (for the first time) on mandrake 9 (also first time) and can see the share from my XP box and navigate around it and open files but cannot create new ones or modify existing files. l thought i followed the set up informtion i had, and can't seem to find a problem.

any ideas?

l can show my smb.conf if you would like...

cheers.

shaun..

look into your smb.conf file and look for directives of your samba share. make sure you have ANY of the following:

read only = No
writable = Yes