Compatible Support Forums
jeffrychuck1161

computer wont stay on standby

When my computer goes on standby, it will only stay asleep for a couple minutes or so, then starts back up. If I turn off the DSL it will stay asleep. It is a HP computer, running XP. Any ideas ? Thanks

Have you tried shutting down your email program before going on standby? Could be that everytime it checks your email, your computer wakes up because you access the net.

Try the 3 finger salute, ctrl+alt+del and see what you have running in the background, possibly you have a program that updates at regular intervals.

You are running an AVP, right?

Look your BIOS for 'wake up on lan' / WOL / Wake on LAN or similar and try disabling it.

You can also go into device manager > network adapter > properties > power management tab > uncheck "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby".

I had a similar problem with my computer bringing itself out of hibernation after a few hours which was particularly annoying in the middle of the night as it is incredibly noisy! It doesn't have an internet connection and I never found out what it was.