Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
smurfymcsmurf19

computer logs me off at irregular intervals

my computer has been logging me off at random intervals. last night it started along with a few other problems so I decided to restore windows. The problem has persisted and after scanning for spyware/viruses/adware/spybots i've found nothing. Occasionally it will go for awhile without doing it, other times it will be every 10 seconds or so. I have windows XP professional. Anyone have any suggestions? I feel like an idiot continually logging myself in.

Try posting the make and model of your system, which will help folks troubleshoot your system.

Many motherboards have a feature in the bios that shuts down the system (or reboots it) if the fan speed is detected as not spinning properly (or too slowly), as well as if the processor gets too hot.

If you can't pin this down to something that you did, say add a specific program or piece of hardware, try to note if you can hear the processor fan spinning. You may need to take the case cover off to do this.

This could be a variety of issues, such as bad or improperly seated memory, or a failing power supply.

If you added some hardware and it started, then the power supply may not be adequate to cover all the hardware.

Add any details thast you can think of to try and pin down some possibilities - if anything had changed in the system when the problem started.

From what I read of your problem, you do not say that the system collapses or freezes only that you as the user gets logged off. If that is true, it is just as likely that you have a security problem and not a hardware problem. On the other hand, if the machine is freezing when you are logged off, danleff's suggestions should be followed.

Bring up your Task Manager (Ctrl-Shift-ESC). Look at the processes running. If there is something you can't identify, Google it.

To help identify security problems in your user accounts

1 Go to Control Panel>Performance and Maintenance>Administrative Tools>Local Security Policy.

2 In the left pane of the Local Security Settings window, expand Local Policies then click Audit Policy.

3 Double-click each setting in the right pane to configure auditing properties.

Once you have enabled auditing, it is recommended that you use Event Viewer to check the Security and other logs regularly, especially if you suspect that your system may have been compromised.

To check the Security log:

1. Go to Control Panel>Performance and Maintenance>Administrative Tools>Event Viewer.

2. In the left pane, select the Security icon to review the logs.

I have a Lenovo 3000 N100 notebook (Big mistake). my roommate has a Toshiba Satellite and had similar problems but after downloading a registry cleaner program he had no problems. I downloaded the same thing and it did nothing. I tried sampson's suggestions and still it made no difference. thanks for the help.