Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pmistry

Help Me With My Multiboot Effort

I have 4 hard drives all hooked up on my Asus P5W DH. They are as follows:

Intel SATA AHCI Controller:

Port 1: Seagate 320GB (NTFS, Drive C, WinXP / apps installed)

Port 2: Seagate 320GB (NTFS, Drive F, Empty)

Port 3: Western Digital 120 GB (NTFS, Drive D, storage /apps)

JMicron IDE/SATA Controller:

IDE Port: Western Digital 80GB (NTFS, Drive E, storage, temp drive)

SATA Port: Empty

Onboard Intel IDE Controller:

2 DVD Drives.

I had Windows Vista installed on the F drive above, but I removed it, as I would like to install my copy of Windows 2000 SP4 (made a slipstream CD from my original disk)

Now I know that W2K will overwrite my XP bootloader, but I know how to restore it. The only problem is, I can't get Windows 2000 to install correctly.

I started the setup, and used F6 for both the Intel/Jmicron controllers, and installed W2K to the E drive (IDE). It completed but on the restart it failed complaining it could not find (Windows 2000 Root)\System32\name file here. Of course XP didn't work either, so I reinserted my XP CD, repaired it, and removed the 2K Failed installation.

I then tried to only install the OS to the IDE drive by not specifying the Intel SATA controller on startup, just the JMicron, so it installed, added a boot loader to that drive, and then in the BIOS I set that drive to startup, but then I got a message on startup saying it could not find the hard disk.

What can I do to get Windows 2000 installed on that E drive, without wiping out my XP installation?

Btw, can I create a slipstream CD that has a copy of XP's NTLDR and NTDETECT on it? As to avoid having to repair afterward?