Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cormac

Question

Hey Everyone I need some help.

Right now my ISP's download speed is 8 megs. I have 3 computers hooked to a Netgear Ethernet 4 port hub. Each computers download speed is roughly 2.2 megs.

I used to run a Link-sys router and it would run ok for awhile but then it would drop the other computers and I would have to reset the computers.

I followed all the instructions from Link-sys on setting up the router for the 3 comps but it still did it.

What I want to know is there any device out there that will allow me to hook all 3 computers up to the modem without such a huge drop in download speed.

Actually, the linksys router is the best way to go. I am somewhat surprised that your hub is able to work with the modem unless one of your computers is being utilized as a gateway.

Normally, linksys routers work pretty well out of the box. I would not use their CD since they will sometimes want to install Nortons. The only failures I've seen with the routers are 1) firmware in the router needs to be upgraded, 2) the computers have TCP/IP addresses changed from their standard settings, or 3) software firewalls (especially Windows firewall) in the individual computers choke off the handshaking.

The standard operating procedure is to connect one computer to the modem. Turn the modem on, let it connect first, then turn on the computer and make sure it sees the internet. Then, power down the computer, connect the modem to the router, bring up the router, then connect your computers to the router or through the hub to the router and bring them up. On the first run, I would not allow any firewall software to come up. If your machines stay connected, then you will want to experiment with the firewall software to see where the problem is.

Thanks for the response Sampson.

Actually it works no problem with the hub, the way I have it set up is to go from the modem right to the hub and then to the 3 computers and have no serious problems other then the drop in download speed.

Do you think installing it the way you suggest it above will get me a faster download speed?

I'm just thinking that since the signal is being split by the hub that there is no way to get around the download speed drop or am I wrong?