Compatible Support Forums
akcarlin

windows xp will NOT shut down.

hello. I have a Compaq SR1616NX running Windows XP SP2. my problem is that i had a some trojans and viruses on my computer, around May of 2006. I fixed it up with Norton Internet Security and Norton System works, both 2005 edition. However, aroud mid June, my computer started hanging on the blue shutdown screens where it said "windows is shutting down" I have had to hold the the power button for it to turn off.

Now, I tried to restart my computer because I uninstalled a program, and when i clicked "restart," it didn't do anything. I tired clicking shut down, and still nothing.

A little help?

I have looked on the internet for answers, nothing so far.

im pretty sure i dont have a virus. I updated and scanned today. I also scanned with ad-aware, windows defender, and spybot search and destroy.

Well I can see 3 thing you can do.

1- In Regedit check

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\CONTROL PANEL\DESKTOP

D-click PowerOffActivevalue, and type 1 in the value field.

Ty CPU magazine, it work for me after a few boot it came back.

2- live whit it frown

3- Well download the folowing

A- zonelab firewall or outpost firewall

B- AVG anti virus (free)

C- A Squared AND Spybot S&D ( Free also)

Then install windows formating your drive, install the program in the order of the download, update window.

Now if you keep them up to date and use there build in protection, you should have 6 to 12 mounth of no worry.

But windows is windows and whit all that and no virus and spy attack, my system still had the same problem you had for some time.

don't give up smile We make it a better net smile not the corporation.

In general, when XP won't shut down, it is because there is a driver or a program that will not close properly so XP stalls. There are two programs UPHclean and profileclean - that are meant to terminate programs running in the background so that windows will shut down properly. Just google those programs. Installing them may help in the future.